cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista email setup

dogsbody

Vista email setup

just got a new pc with vista obviously. ive set most things up but the e mail is being a pain. ive entered all the required setup details, servers and passwords etc. but whenever i try to send and receive, a 'network password' box pops up with server and username and password details already entered. if i click ok it returns after a few seconds, and carries on doing so until i get annoyed. anyone know what this means? i would be grateful.  Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
paulby
Grafter

Re: Vista email setup

Double check your user name and  password have been entered correctly.  Also your user name, assuming it's a PlusNet mail account, is only the bit before @plusdsl.net when setting up mail.
dogsbody

theyre all in there ok, its a metronet account by the way. i dont know whether the settings guide on the web page is the same for vista? thanks for the reply!
paulby
Grafter

The settings should be the same whatever operating system you use.
Windows Mail is pretty similar to OE to set up, I assume you've followed this guide.  Just remember NOT to tick the box that says "My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication"
I can't think of any other reasons why you should be getting a user name /password dialog. Huh  I'm running Vista and didn't encounter that problem! 
Anyone else have any ideas?
dogsbody

even though i know pretty much what im doing i followed the guide from the start, box just keeps popping back up again like ita a wrong password or something. ive triple checked it all and its as its supposed to be.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If this pops up on receiving mail (ie showing mail.plus.net in the error) then there might be an issue with the information entered, however if it shows relay.plus.net (ie when sending mail) then that is the problem - you do not need to use authentication when sending via relay. In the account properties make sure there is no tick in the box for 'my outgoing server requires authentication' and you should stop getting this error.
Hope this helps,
Not applicable

I wonder what security you are using?  If it is AVG the e-mail scanner has to be configured differently for Windows Mail.
I have this and the My server requires authentication box is ticked.
paulby
Grafter

@dogsbody
Check that the username for the Metronet mail account is the bit before @metronet.co.uk in the e-mail address and NOT the bit before @dsl2.net or @metro2.net for the ADSL account login.

@orbrey
The OP is using a Metronet account - should the servers not be:
mail.metronet.co.uk & smtp.metronet.co.uk
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah - apologies, that's true. Nontheless the advice is still the same - no authentication needed on sending mail though the servers are as you say. Sorry about that.
dogsbody

thanks for the replies. as i say ive set this account up before on previous pc's and have always entered it the same. ive never put the whole e mail address in the username box, i mad ethat mistakle the first time! also the 'requires authentication' box is not ticked. still the pop up requiring a 'network password' with all my login details ready entered appears. clicking ok will only make it dissapear for a few seconds before it asks again. it may be something silly that ive done but i cant see what that would be.
paulby
Grafter

Which dialog box are you seeing? Can you post exactly what it says?
Have you tried right clicking on Windows Mail and then "Run as Administrator"?
Does the problem still exist if you do that?

I
dogsbody

sorry to sound dumb but ive only just worked out what windows mail is  Roll_eyes  But in response to your questions i cant seem to paste it into here sadly and i cant find the run as administrator option you mentioned. on closer inspection the problem might lie in the registry, seems vista has saved multiple passwords in here and thats why this box keeps popping up. i followed a knowlege base article on how to try to solve this but could not complete it because there was an error. just goes to show that even when you spend silly money on a new pc with a supposedly next gen OS it doesent guarantee an error free experience!