cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista and pop mailboxes

mickd

Vista and pop mailboxes

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a problem with vista and sending/receiving to pop mailboxes ie thunderbird or windows mail?
I've just recently upgraded to windows vista and last night decided to try to download my mails from plusnet to a mailbox on my new machine, i ran through the settings ( and have since chacked them at least 10 times ) but i could not receive any mails, kept getting timeout errors ( it never asked me for my password ), but i could actually send mails. I've tried switching the firewall off on my router, disabling mcafee internet security and also windows firewall ( although this has never been switched on ) but still cannot receive any mails...
Is there something else i need to do in vista to allow mails to download?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mick.
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: Vista and pop mailboxes

I have been using Windows Mail for some time now with no problems.  Not sure if this helps, but my account settings are:
General: Mail account mail.force9.net/Include this account box is ticked.
Servers: My server requires authentication box is ticked
Connection: greyed out.
Advanced: Nothing is ticked.
As I am using AVG the POP3/SMTP settings are 127.0.0.1
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's probably worth checking  your settings match those at this page.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mickd

Thanks for the reply guy's, as i stated i had checked the settings numerous times, and these were correct, but i have now got it working, i actually uninstalled Mcafee and then it worked??? maybe the disable firewall feature doesn't work....god knows? but anyway, then there was a problem it took about 10 seconds to download each message, but i fixed this by disabling remote differential compression in control panel/programs and features/Turn windows features on or off... ( Just incase anyone else has the same problem )
But now onto my next and potentially worst problem..... I had set thunderbird to delete all mails on the server imediately..... so i downloaded all mails approx 400 into thunderbird, shutdown, then went back into thunderbird, and the mails aren't there....... at this point i started to panic a little ( well a lot to be honest )
is there any way to get these mails back? surely you have a backup and can restore emails?
I'm going to raise a ticket but thought I'd ask here also.
Cheers,
Mick.