cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista and Thomson

neophyte

Vista and Thomson

I started with Plusnet in October and was supplied with a standard Thomson router.  There are three computers linked to this wireless connection; two use Windows 7, one Vista.  The Vista machine does not automatically pick-up the wireless connection for internet, etc; the other two do.  If I turn off the router and turn it on again, the Vista machine then connects.  I can't be doing this all the time with modern equipment.  I've tried everything a neophyte can via the website; I've asked the question of the Support Team: what is causing this and what can I do?  I've asked is it a problem with Vista (as that seemed a logical assumption).  The Support Team suggested I change to a WEP setting on the Tjomson router.  I don't want to do this because of its lower security.  They have recommended I come to the Forum and see if anyone else has had this problem.  I've wondered if it would be helpful to get an external networkadapter card, more up to date; or even upgrade the OS to Windows 7 from Vista.  Any similar sufferers out there?  I'd be very grateful.
29 REPLIES 29
ross1127
Grafter

Re: Vista and Thomson

Hi neophyte,
i to am running vista on my laptop, was told to change my wireless settings on the thomson gateway, i have changed it to channel 2 and fingers crossed it seems to be ok at the moment.
neophyte

Thank you Ross for replying.  I don't understand what you mean by 'gateway' and 'channel 2'.  I see that there is another thread running at the bottom of the page dealing with this very issue.but the solution seems to have been providing a new router.
ross1127
Grafter

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: neophyte
I don't understand what you mean by 'gateway' and 'channel 2'.  

'Gateway' means router
'Channel 2' is the wireless channel number.  There are 13 wireless channels numbered 1 to 13.
But there is nothing magical about channel 2 - I guess it was just a different channel to the one ross1127 was using before.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista and wireless connections but there is something wrong with the routers Plusnet have been sending out recently - they need a firmware update to fix it.  What model do you have, Neophyte?  
neophyte

Thank you both for last evening's replies.  My Router has TG585 v8 written on the bottom.  I guess this is the model number.  I've looked at the download link but am a trifle daunted by it.  Does it work?  Should I do this on my main laptop or the one that's giving me trouble?  It's very good to know there's people out there who have the time and take the trouble to reply to beginners like me.  Thanks.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There is an update available for the Thompson V8. Also all the step-by-step info you need..
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...    Smiley
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  the smiley was too close to the end of the link ]
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Sorry, don't know why the link didn't appear as a link. Most strange. Will try again. http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I've looked at the download link but am a trifle daunted by it.  Does it work?

Yes, and the firmware update works for problematic PC wireless connections as well as "certain Apple computers".  There is no guarantee it will fix your particular problem but it has to be worth a try.
Should I do this on my main laptop or the one that's giving me trouble? 

It doesn't matter, the computer is just a conduit and is not changed itself.  Only the embedded software ("firmware") on the router is changed.  Either way you need to use a cable connection to apply the firmware update.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I recently switched to a Thomson V8 router, I had no trouble with my Desktop PC, my wireless printer, my wife's (Acer) netbook or my Dell laptop but my daughter's Acre laptop had problems when connecting.
I later tried another Acer laptop (same model number as my daughter's but an older version with a different wireless card - same type of Intel card as in my Dell laptop incidentally), this had the same problem.
The Desktop and my Dell laptop are Windows 7, the netbook is XP, the two troublesome Acer Laptops are both Vista.
When I first set up the router I switched the security to WPA2 only as this is how I have set previous routers.  I have just changed this back to WPA+WPA2 and both Acer laptops then connected, is yours set to WPA2 only?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

Sorry, that's not it, just restarted one of the Acer laptops and it will not reconnect.  Must have been changing the setting on the router that refreshed the connection.  I now think I remember something about a registry setting in Vista that helps with this problem, just can't remember where I saw it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Note: applying the fix mentioned here requires editing the registry - make sure you back it up first.
The registry key referred to is possibly that mentioned in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 928233.
If help is needed to determine the appropriate {GUID} entry this article might help.
The KB article says that in Windows 7 the registry key DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle is set to 1 by default, so computers with that operating system should not exhibit the 'local access only' problem.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

In my experience, updating the 585v8 firmware to version 8.2.7.8 (Plusnet branded) cures PC connectivity issues.  The PC in question was running Vista, would sometimes connect but generally "connected with limited access"  until the router was restarted.  This problem has not recurred since applying the firmware update over a week ago.
Edit:  To clarify, this PC had connected without problems to two other routers before the Thomson 585v8 came along so although spraxyt's registry fix might work, it is fixing a problem that is specific to this particular router and which can also be fixed by updating the router firmware..    
w23
Pro

Many thanks to both Spraxyt and ReedRichards, I suspect either of these may work (my router is firmware 8.2.7.7).  I'll probably do both.
Call me 'w23'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: walker23
I'll probably do both.

It would be interesting to see if the registry change fixes the problem with the version 8.2.7.7 firmware because that would pinpoint what is wrong with that particular firmware (for Vista PC's at least).