cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Media Center BBC Streaming

thefunkygibbon

Vista Media Center BBC Streaming

Does anyone else get the
"due to licensing restrictions, this service is currently only available to users in the uk"
messenge when trying to go to the BBC online content within Media Center in Vista (Ultimate)?
I'm using a legit copy which was installed from UK sourced discs (my previous install did the same which was american sourced discs and never actually put a licence key in)
regional settings in OS say UK,  media center downloads UK TV listings... cant think of anything else.

any ideas? would love to get this working, used it all the time on MCE2005.

I've posted about this on a couple of other forums and the general concensous seems to be that its down to the IP you are coming from and whether the beeb have your range on record as being in the UK.
my freind on sky bb gets the same message.
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Vista Media Center BBC Streaming

Works fine for me in Vista Home Premium
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chillypenguin
Grafter

The post above was make from his PlusNet IP address.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
LiamM
Grafter

I remember hearing some time ago about ISPs having to register their IP Blocks with the Beeb etc... for UK restricted content.
It's especially important for AOL whose IP blocks make all AOL UK users appear to be in the US.  I wonder if a new IP block has been introduced recently and the Beeb aren't aware of it being originated from the UK.
Could be talking complete twaddle of course, and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to clarify if there is indeed a procedure.
Do you have a dynamic or static IP?  If dynamic, does it work following a reconnect?
thefunkygibbon

I'm using a static block which i've had for a couple of years now.
I'm not sure where to go on this as Plusnet will most likely not give a monkeys about it. And BBC probably wont either.
LiamM
Grafter

My first port of call would be to contact the Beeb.  Especially since you're using an old IP block and I'm sure it should be correctly classified.
Do you have any problems streaming media from the BBC site?  e.g. try listening to Radio 1 in Windows Media Player... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/ and click on "Listen live".  The WMP stream is only available in the UK - so it will be interesting to see if that works.
If you say it was working fine before, it could be that Vista is declaring itself as a US version or has a US product key (or something like that).  The Beeb will know exactly what their restrictions are though.
Getting help from them might be an experience though!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some proxy server you could use. There is an infestation of myspace proxies around especially for the purpose of making blocking efforts more difficult.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."