cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vigor 2850 FTTC Help

rsy1977

Vigor 2850 FTTC Help

Hi
I've got a draytek Vigor 2850n that I'm trying to setup for use instead if the supplied BTOR HG612 Modem & Plusnet TG582n Router. I've followed the settings below:
WAN > General > Name "Plusnet" > VDSL only > Tag 101 > Priority 0
WAN > Access > PPPoE selected > xxxxx@plusdsl.net in username & pwd as per logging on to Plusnet account website.
Firmware is latest version 3.6.4 (I think)
I've had the router working fora previous BB supplier but can't for the life of me get it working now!
Any help gratefully received!
11 REPLIES 11
2Senile
Grafter

Re: Vigor 2850 FTTC Help

Using a 2760n myself. Is "vlan encapsulation" ticked? Might be called something slightly different on your 2850n.
PPP Authentication set to "PAP or CHAP".?  MTU set to "1492".? Default Route ticked? Connection Detection ticked? Connection Detection Mode? Mine is set to Auto. Always On ticked?
rsy1977

Hi, Sorry about the delay in getting back. I think I have all of those ticket - thought couldn't find a VLAN encap tick box on the 2850.  I do have an "encap" type - currently set to VC MUX.
PPP Auth => 'PAP or Chap'
MTU => 1492
Default Route ? Not sure about ... any
WAN Connection Detection
Mode => ARP Detect  (assume that means the connection Detection would be ticked as I don't have a sep tick box for that) Not sure I can have AUTO as an option... I'll check
Always On => selected
I did try to upload some pics but it kept timing out
Do you have tabs for PPPoE/PPPoA; MPoA/Static or Dynamic IP & IPv6?? If so which one did you have enabled?
2Senile
Grafter

Hi again. Slightly different Hardware &
It is PPoE.
For the WAN use IPv4.
The "101" bit appears to just be a Country specific thing. New Zealand use something like "10". ... I think.
I think ARP is "Address resolution (Cache?)". Not something that would stop you connecting to PN. However, it might mean something different compared to my 2760n
I've had a quick look in the manual for the 2850n
http://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/userguides/Vigor2850%20User%20Guide%20V1.0.zip
.... but it isn't really helping me.
As long as PPoE & those other bits plus the username & Pasword are done you should have been up & running.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

rsy1977

Hi
Read both of those guides - those had the settings i tried weeks back. Still not working for me - vdsl light come on for a bit then blinks indicating a bad connect. Unless the username/password is wrong at end...
Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh Angry
rsy1977

1 thing 2senile... are you still using the btor box?Huh
2Senile
Grafter

No, just the Vigor 2760n Modem/Router.
If you know somebody with FTTC who could test your 2850n on their line that might help.
I'm assuming the OR Modem & Plusnet supplied Router work correctly. ?Huh
Can never find the damned "Dunno" smiley when I need one.  Wink
rsy1977

yes - BTOR & Plusnet router work fine.
Head sore from banging it on the desk so much tho...
2Senile
Grafter

I'm lost.
The only thing(s) I can think of suggesting are reset the router to default & start over ...... something might have gotten screwed uo internally.
Try & get somebody to test it on their FTTC.
I'll have another glance at your Manual but I'm not hopeful I'll be able to stubble on something that has been overlooked.. I don't understand half the terms used.  Cry
2Senile
Grafter

Had a glance at the 2850n Manual. Helped me a little bit in understanding my 2760n.  Embarrassed
If it was me, I'd reset the damned thing, connect a single PC (wired), connect the cable from the phone socket & power-on. In that order.
Go in to the Setup (192.168.1.1) & just use the "Quick Start Wizard".
From the Manual:
2.4.1 For WAN1
WAN1 is specified for ADSL or VDSL connection. If you do not specify Fallback Mode first,
the router will detect whether the network is built by ADSL or VDSL automatically.

Don't specify fallback mode first;  choose "VDSL Only" in the Physical Type box if it hasn't been done automatically.
Continue thru the Wizard entering the basic stuff. Dynamic IP & Plusnet Username & password.
After you get to the end, confirm the settings & click the "Finish" button ......... go to the Pub for an hour.
When the VDSL light blinks quickly it means the Line is "Training". Allow at least fifteen minutes. (I'd stay in the Pub for an hour.)
The VDSL light will blink slowly before going into training btw.
Hopefully, after you get back from the Pud the VDSL light will be steady.
One thing to mention: while in the Wizard do not press any "Auto Detect" buttons.
I'm "fumbling" here but ... it can't hurt to try.
rsy1977

Ok... I'm back again... I get two messages depending on how I try to connect.
I'm seeing either PPP shutdown or PPPOE No Response from server.
Did a little digging and PPPOE (apparently) uses the name/description filled in on the wan general setup page.
Do you have/Know if this should be:
Plusnet
PlusNet
PlusNet Fibre
PlusNet fibre
BT Infinity....
Thanks