Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View my usage figure telling me lies

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

View my usage figure telling me lies

Just been to see my usage so far this month.... and it seems that I am using my computer in my sleep.... after midnight.... when I am definintely NOT USING IT....
and guess what.... already on tonights "overnight usage" I have used 8.4mb and it is only 21:06........ ? so how come I have used 8.4mb BEFORE midnight?
.........................01 Fri .........02 Sat ..............03 Sun ........04 Mon ... 05 Tue ........06 Wed ....... 07 Thu ..... Total
Allowance Used 1.01GB ........976.99MB .......1.7GB ........1.8GB ..........1.69GB 1.39GB ........1.27GB ... 9.82GB
Overnight Usage 13.11MB 11MB ......69.19KB 56.34KB ...70.72KB 1.04MB ........711.3KB 26.06MB

Total .................1.02GB ..........987.99MB ...........1.7GB ...........1.8GB .............1.69GB 1.39GB ..........1.27GB 9.85GB

.................................08 Fri ........09 Sat .................10 Sun ..........11 Mon ....12 Tue ...13 Wed ...14 Thu Total
Allowance Used .......3.01GB ........783.14MB - - - - - ......................................................................................3.79GB
Overnight Usage... 4.98MB ..........8.4MB - - - - - ...............................................................................................13.39MB

Total ........................3.01GB ..........791.54MB
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: View my usage figure telling me lies

Having just looked at mine - I see some funny numbers as well - see screen capture
I know what the Saturday night one was - daughter home
But the others are much higher than usual.
BUT there is one factor - the nights when there is a high usage (in the MB range) I had the computer running all night so that Routerstats would give a full over night log so presumably it was Kaspersky updating
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
and guess what.... already on tonights "overnight usage" I have used 8.4mb and it is only 21:06........ ? so how come I have used 8.4mb BEFORE midnight?

Remember the 'free' period for Saturday is Saturday 00:00 - 08:00 which was this morning. So tonight's 'free' usage will show as Sunday as it actually took place Sunday 00:00 - 08:00.
The amounts you have there are only very small amounts of background usage, nothing to worry about.
It's free anyway Cheesy
Alex Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

yeah agree with Alex, Saturday overnight is midnight - 8am saturday.
I'd be more concerned if it was showing sunday usage Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Well, yes, I agree it is "free".....however... how come the 8.4MB is showing, when I am using "normal" usage during today......

I accept that a few kb will be "used" by the router to keep the connection open....but Mb usage isn`t compatible with that....
edit..... I shut the laptop down overnight... never leave it running .....
avatastic
Grafter

If someone tries to send 10Mb of data to your ip address, even if your router is switched off, unplugged and back in its box you will see 10Mb of usage on your account.
Quite why this happens, when the radius server can confirm that you're not connected, is beyond me but its the only system we've got!
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
prichardson
Grafter

Shutter, looking at your usage for the 9th on an hourly breakdown, the majority of the usage in question was between 7am and 8am.
This was almost all downstream data, though the upstream data did rise sufficiently to indicate that normal ACK requests were going for the connection.
If this was simply a flood of downstream data from a third party (in error, maliciously or anything in-between), most routers should not acknowledge the data if they are correctly stealthing a port.
Your usage did then spike between 8am and 9am, which on the face of what I am seeing with everything else overnight, suggests that whilst your machine was off overnight, there was someone or something starting to use the connection, shortly before 8am.
avatastic, do you have any examples of this at all please?
This should and cannot occur under most circumstances. The very nature of how we route customers data across our core network means that any connection that is offline will tear down routes of our DSL gateways. This means data destined for your IP doesn't even know how to get to the equipment on our network that performs the collection of information on how much you transfer.
There are two common exceptions to this.
1: Your username is configured into another router and is connected, which means both services attribute data to your account.
2: For a period following an abrupt disconnection, such as power loss, data destined for your broadband service will be attributed to you. This will stop collecting when we tear down your connection automatically (triggered by the fact there have been no LCP responses from the router). If your router reconnects right away, this usage collection does not occur on the dead link (as we have started to route your legitimate data to your new session).
I'd be very interested to see occurrences where collection of data is happening in other circumstances if you can provide them. Thanks.