cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Streaming stuttering/ buffering

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Video Streaming stuttering/ buffering

I am on Unlimited package on Copper and have good Sync Speed at 10.21Mbps on Fast connection.
Since migrating to PlusNet from BT, I have been unable to watch any streamed Video from the BBC iPlayer. The Video stutters and stops for up to 15 seconds making it impossible to watch.  Cry
Is this a known issue? Is it because of Traffic Management?
6 REPLIES 6
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Video Streaming stuttering/ buffering

not a known issue and not traffic management.
post your router stats and speed test from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
do these from a wired connection and not wifi.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When the buffering happens is there any other internet activity going on on the same or any other connected device?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Is the viewing device wireless or wire connected to the router?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Guys, I have been out all day so started doing some checks at around 21:45 tonight. Some surprises:
I Tried my Youview box on BBC iPlayer on a BBc1 Programme and it was running perfectly. The YouView Box is connected by Ethernet cable. Smiley
I then tried my Raspberry Pi connected by Ethernet cable and it ran the same programme as the Youview box perfectly well,  Smiley
Buoyed by this success, I switched the Raspberry Pi to WiFi and to my surprise, it is working perfectly!  Huh Smiley
I cannot explain what has changed. I haven't even re-booted the Router so the best I can do is to keep using it and report my findings.
Thanks to chenks76, jelv and Townman for your helpful suggestions.
All4One
Grafter

Probably wifi issue, rebooting probably just changed the auto channel selection. Any streaming devices I have are all over ethernet/power line adapters to avoid wifi issues.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

That doesn't explain why the streaming to the YouView box was also stuttering since that is always connected by Ethernet cable.
I will test your hypothesis by fixing the Wireless channel and see if it improves. However, it is now streaming perfectly so I can't test it.
I suspect that it may be caused by local congestion or load balancing on the PlusNet pipes. It is a long time since I have been with PlusNet so I don't know if this is still an issue.