Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very bad start

slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very very bad start

...Changed over from BT Fibre to Plusnet Fibre up to 76Mb late on Monday afternoon, straight away my speed was slower by around 20%, since then things have gone from bad to worse  Angry
Tuesday speeds started to go down further and constant disconnections, early Tuesday afternoon ticket to say fault on my line and they will keep me informed. ALL afternoon constant disconnections and speeds getting slower and slower, late afternoon no internet at all until late evening, after 30 minutes of use internet went down again! I've just got up and yes...no internet! I rebooted the router and it has come back but for how long?
I use my internet every day for business and security devices around my home, then in the evening for entertainment such as Netflix & gaming, neither of which I was able to do last night!
BT was rock solid so how can a simple change go so very wrong? How long will it take to sort out? Leaving a reply saying "your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available." doesn't cut it, there must be a target date/time to sort it? I don't want to be in the middle of transferring money or paying for something and lose connection mid way!
Sunday with BT

Monday late afternoon Plusnet

Tuesday Morning

Tuesday Afternoon

And now this morning

As you can see above this is no where near the connection that i should be getting on a up to 76Mb line.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 19.33 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20.62 Mbps-29.46 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 29.46 Mbps
Upstream IP Profile seems fine
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.15Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Nothing has changed within my house apart from the switch from the BT router to the Plusnet router, phone and internet are plugged directly into the master socket so no need to worry about extensions.
I'd appreciate a reply/update from a Plusnet member of staff please
Have to laugh: Good job I had done a copy of the above, the internet went down before I could hit the post button!  Roll_eyes - Edit that* Dropped for a third time AFTER I had hit post  Shocked
12 REPLIES 12
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Very very bad start

use this test first
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
once completed - choose further diagnostics
post the results
the go here portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
post the results
if you have a line fault then DLM will keep dropping the speed until it finds something stable.
openreach will be working on the fault, they give the same SLA to plusnet as they would to bt retail.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Since the BT performance tester reports your IP profile as 29.46 Mbps your sync speed must have dropped to a little over 30 Mbps.
Are you using the same modem as you had with BT?  If so, then only a line fault or similar can have caused the drop in speed as everything else remains unchanged (the sync speed is determined by the equipment in the FTTC cabinet, the line from there to your modem and your modem, anything on your side of the modem should have no bearing on the sync speed whatsoever).
So unless BT Retail have a secret deal with Openreach to mess up lines when they loose business to another ISP then it must be pure coincidence that the problem has occurred just after you switched.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
slavo71
Rising Star

Quote from: chenks76
use this test first
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
once completed - choose further diagnostics
post the results
the go here portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
post the results
if you have a line fault then DLM will keep dropping the speed until it finds something stable.
openreach will be working on the fault, they give the same SLA to plusnet as they would to bt retail.

The results are in my OP for the first link.
Second lot of results
Estimated line speed:
43Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-29 22:37:47
Current line speed:
30.8 Mb
Like I say I was getting 50+Mb all the time with BT, think I recall the sync speed to the modem being around 70Mb
Quote from: w23
Since the BT performance tester reports your IP profile as 29.46 Mbps your sync speed must have dropped to a little over 30 Mbps.
Are you using the same modem as you had with BT?  If so, then only a line fault or similar can have caused the drop in speed as everything else remains unchanged (the sync speed is determined by the equipment in the FTTC cabinet, the line from there to your modem and your modem, anything on your side of the modem should have no bearing on the sync speed whatsoever).
So unless BT Retail have a secret deal with Openreach to mess up lines when they loose business to another ISP then it must be pure coincidence that the problem has occurred just after you switched.

Yep same modem, everything connecting me to the internet is the same apart from the Home Hub has been switched with the Plusnet router.
I'm sure that it will get sorted sooner or later...just a bit miffed that it all went wrong on the first day! I was so happy getting away from the BT cash machine...even though PN are a sister company  Undecided at least I'm saving a few £££ now Smiley
sjptd
Grafter

I expect (and hope) your experience is coincidence and not something more sinister; and that Plusnet get Openreach to get it properly fixed .... good luck.
I'm about to move from BT to Plusnet (Friday) and had a significant drop in speed last Saturday (not as big as yours, 72Mbps to 66Mbps sync speeds) and also DLM imposed interleaving.  Not too worried about the drop in speed as I am moving to the 40/20 Plusnet package anyway; and not a gamer so also not too worried about the extra 10ms latency.  I don't put that down to anything other than DLM reacting to some line deterioration.
slavo71
Rising Star

Just spoke to a guy from Plusnet who was obviously very knowledgeable, he's put my mind at rest that between them and BT the connection will be sorted. Just put it down to bad timing that my line went t1ts up as I came over here!
Zekemoore
Grafter

I dont know how people with internet that fast can even moan .

now thats troublesome
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

++1
Though I do get an exceptionally speedy download of 2.58Mb/s and upload of 0.43  Cheesy Grin
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
slavo71
Rising Star

Quote from: Zekemoore
I dont know how people with internet that fast can even moan .

Heard of the saying "You get what you pay for"? Well when you pay for something and don't even get half, you have right to moan  Cheesy
At least they have found the problem on the line 'Potential Copper Joint Fault'.
slavo71
Rising Star

Only fair to update this post.
BT guy came out today and the problem traced back to the contactor that changed the wires over in the green box at the top of the road...he hadn't put them in properly which meant that the DLM just kept dropping my profile lower and lower. Once it was fixed the engineer tested the line right up to the modem and received a connecting result of 66Mb down and 16Mb up Smiley So hopefully the DLM will do it's job and start putting my speed up over the next few days.
Pings in game are great: 13ms on BF4, hope they stay that low!!! 
C:\Users\User>ping multiplay.co.uk
Pinging multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.26] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=58
Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=58
Ping statistics for 85.236.96.26:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 13ms
Also spoke to a guy on Plusnets fault line to update them (which was answered after 2 rings I may add), obviously he knew what he was talking about by the way he just rattled problems-fixes-right off the top of his head.
Thanks for all input  Wink
slavo71
Rising Star

lol connection went down right after the above post...DLM has just updated my line:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 61.34 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 45.06 Mbps-64.38 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 64.38 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.82Mbps
Additional Information:
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi slavo71,
Glad to hear that the issue was spotted and fixed however I'm sorry to hear that you're still seeing problems with the speeds. From what I can see on a quick faults check (you may have seen the connection drop while I was testing) it seems that there could be a mismatch in the speed profiles between the DSL and BRAS profiles which will need to be addressed before we can see if the speed has been restored.
I'm going to follow the wishes of the suppler and get this passed to them now so they can look into it for us and hopefully get the speed profiles matched up. In the meantime, it would be worth running us another speed test (with Further Diagnostics) if possible so we can see what the results show from your side.
You should see some details on this raised on your account passed over to the faults team so that they can monitor the outcome for you.
slavo71
Rising Star

Hi Adam, not wishing to be rude but did you not see the post above yours?
Speeds and pings are now great...better than they have ever been with BT over the last 18 months! I haven't had one single loss of connection since the engineer came out on friday (apart from the one you caused)
I've just checked with the BT test and since you dropped the connection it has dropped the ip profile slightly but by nothing I'm bothered about:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 59.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 43.64 Mbps-62.34 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 62.34 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.04Mbps
Additional Information:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\User>ping bbc.co.uk
Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.103] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.246.103: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57
Ping statistics for 212.58.246.103:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 14ms

C:\Users\User>ping multiplay.co.uk
Pinging multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.26] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=60
Ping statistics for 85.236.96.26:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms

Nothing is broken so please don't change anything, i'd hate to see my pings jump up!!!