cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow today...

mariek
Grafter

Very slow today...

Hi, sorry I posted on another forum, not realising there was a specific one.  My broadband is incredibly slow today - I've had PlusNet for years now (back in the good old pre BT days!) and never experienced speed issues.  I've rebooted the router.  Any other suggestions?  Even getting into the forum is taking an age...
I've also noticed that my usage is way up according to PlusNet - much higher than it should be (the only other times we have reached anything like our limit, we have had big downloads, so we knew to expect it).  Any ideas?  Cheers
19 REPLIES 19
churchofmoom

Re: Very slow today...

My speed is down as well. It has been for the past couple of days now. It's like being on dial-up it's so slow. Even doing a basic speed test is impossible. According to the service status, there's a problem with the portal that won't be updated until the 7th. I hope that's not right  Sad
I'm going to do another check of the router and all connections. If there's nothing wrong there, then I'll have to raise a ticket.
pnf
Grafter

I had very slow speeds last night and again today.  Every web page that I went to was taking a very long time to load, so slow in fact it was unusable.  I rebooted the router last night and again this morning to no avail.  However, a short while ago, using the browser interface on the router I disconnected from the Internet (leaving the DSL connection up with a sync speed of 10,035kbps) and waited for 5 minutes before reconnecting.  My speeds are now back to normal.  I'm not sure if something has been fixed or whether there is a problem on one of the gateways.
mariek
Grafter

No reply from plusnet.... Sad
James
Grafter

Hi,
We've had some calls about this this afternoon.
Our Networks Team are currently investigating.
I'm sorry for the hassle that it's causing you.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi all,
Our network team are investigating the cause of these issues, I've asked one of my team to do some additional dial-testing from here so we can try to replicate the issue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
xmiles

This and similar posts make interesting reading. My speed has dropped to 200/300kbps today. I have raised a ticket with plusnet (#39541955) but both people I have spoken to did not mention any activity by plusnet as a possible cause. I was asked to download Wireshark and use that but as my download is so slow I couldn't download it.. The plusnet speedtests are all consistent at about 300 but when I ran speedtester.bt both results showed download speeds of about 5300. I am currently waiting to hear back from plusnet. So what is going on?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The basic difference is the BT speedtests are classified as Titanium on all profiles including the default one.
This means that any screw up in the ellacoya profiling system is unlikely to affect them.
That is my opinion which, of course, may not be correct but does fit the facts as I see them.
AdamC

I have the same issue - for the last couple of days it's been very slow.
Tried to use Iplayer but useless even online radio listening stutters all the time.
Adam
churchofmoom

I was going to raise a ticket about this, but it looks like many others have already done that and, hopefully, they'll get it sorted pretty soon as I need a decent speed to use the internet. I mean, sites like ebay are bad enough with a decent broadband speed, but at dial-up speeds they're impossible! Cry
I managed to do a basic speedtest. My connection speed seems to be between 200-300kbps, with the upload speed being greater! Huh
I checked all the usual stuff, just to make sure it's not a problem on my end, such as the line signal (which is clear), router, the microfilter etc... I even tried it on another PC. All with the same results Sad  I'll keep checking the speeds I'm getting every now and again. Like I said, I hope it gets sorted out.
jkerr82508
Grafter

I've noticed web browsing has been slow since yesterday. Earlier today I did a speedtest and got the following crazy results:
Downstream:  344 kbps (43kB/s) Upstream:  377 kbps (47.1kB/s)
I'm sync'd at 7616kbps and my profile is 6.5mb. I was about to start troubleshooting when I saw the service status message. I hope it is a general problem and not a problem specific to my set-up. I've just recently been able to get a line fault fixed and am not looking forward to another several days of experimenting with alternative equipment and set-ups.
Jim
Snarf
Grafter

164kbps from PN speedtest, 4672kbps from BT's speedtest.
Definitely seems to be a traffic prioritisation issue. Online gaming seems completely unaffected by the issue, but web browsing is painfully slow. AIUI gaming is Titanium, but browsing is only Gold.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Try a router reboot now guys.  We've changed something on our side.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You don't need to reboot and shouldn't at this time of night.
Use the router web interface to disconnect then reconnect from Plusnet
jkerr82508
Grafter

Disconnected and then re-connected. Web browsing seems to be back to normal.
A speed test confirms that Downstream speed is now back to around 5900kbps
Looks like it's sorted. Thanks.
Jim