cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speeds

ajsvoice
Grafter

Very slow speeds

Hi. Having been away for a couple of weeks (with my router turned off) I returned home to these speeds.

This is not consistent with the speed my router is reporting.
DownStream Connection Speed	7648 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
10 REPLIES 10
ajsvoice
Grafter

Re: Very slow speeds

Appear to have returned to normal
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, glad that's sorted itself out - not sure why it'd have dropped so much though. Certainly glad it was resolved quickly, whatever happens.
If there is anything we can help with please let us know Smiley
ajsvoice
Grafter

Hi following some power cuts in my area my profile has been set at 1000kbps. It is usually around 5000kbps.
I am currently synced at 5792kbps so please could my profile be put back up to where it should be as I am experiencing speeds that are far too low.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please be more specific
Is it the IP profile as reported by the BT Speedtest or the Plusnet mirror of it from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Also, in your previous thread you stated
DownStream Connection Speed 7648 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
This is a major drop to the speed you are now seeing so something is still adrift
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Topics merged for continuity
ajsvoice
Grafter

It is BT who have capped my profile. I am on a rural line and this sometimes happens. All that needs to be done is for BT to be told to put my profile back up.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Getting the BT Profile changed is nearly impossible without a line retrain.
In any case, as I assume that you are on 20CN, it can take anything up to 3 days for it to update.
I assume that you have done the BT Speedtest - if you could post the result it will help the staff
ajsvoice
Grafter

I cannot get Java working on my PC to perform the BT speedtest (note: it really should not be necessary to install Java). I know from experience exactly what my issue is: BT have set my profile at 1000kbps. I also know from experience that BT can simply be contacted by the ISP to get it changed. But I guess there are cost implications for the ISP to do this. It looks like I'll just have to put up with capped speeds for 3 days.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This may give the same information - IP profile that is - http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker
ajsvoice
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
This may give the same information - IP profile that is - http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker

Thanks for that link. Really could do with a tester that does not need Java!  Smiley
The Service ID is: [hidden]
This is a 20CN line.
Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.