cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speeds recently

tudou
Grafter

Very slow speeds recently

I've been getting ridiculously slow speeds recently - I've had this problem before and it was due to my profile being incorrectly reset so instead of being around 7-8 Mbps it hovers around 2 max and mostly less than that.
4 REPLIES 4
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Very slow speeds recently

Hi there,
I've checked your connection and everything looks to be performing as it should. Are you currently connecting over a wired or wireless connection?
I've also placed a modify order to upgrade your line top ADSL2+ which will see your speeds increase to around 14Mb/s, this will complete for you on the 30th May. There's nothing you need to do from your side.

tudou
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Apologies for the late reply, I have been away recently.
I am still experiencing about 50% of the speed I should be getting in the evenings. I've tested this against multiple servers and locations and it still comes up with the same result. E.g.

I'm testing via wireless on my desktop but this isn't an issue since I have been able to get  speeds of 6-7 Mbps through this previously. The bandwidth down on the router is logging in at 8,128 kbps although I have never actually achieved this speed - it seems to be capped/peak at 6 Mbps.
I'd appreciate it if you could double check my account profile to make sure there are no limitations that could be coming from the account configuration.
I also wouldn't worry about the ADSL2+, we live in an area that had a BT trial of FTTC around 2006 so we are stuck with this until our good friends at BT get round to upgrading our area.
Thanks.
bradw
Grafter

I would recommend testing over a wired connection, tudou. Wireless can be affected by so many things - cordless phone, microwaves, other wifi sharing similar channels or even weather. You might be pleasantly surprised once you try wired connection, and even if you can't leave it like that there's always the option of "powerline networking" which will be better than wireless too.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Everything seems fine on your connection that I've checked, as bradw mentioned, I would try it over a wired connection when you're experiencing this and this if there's any difference.