Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speeds averaging 0.7Mbps

BiAndSpy
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Very slow speeds averaging 0.7Mbps

I am supposed to get 3 - 7 Mbps. I contacted Plusnet and explained that I wasn't getting above 1 Mbps. They sent an engineer who replaced the master socket. Plusnet said they would turn off line management and apply interleaving. The speed went up for the first two weeks, sometimes about 5Mbps. Now it is back to less than 1.

I feel like Plusnet play with your speeds and only give people who complain better (temporary) speeds?

I suppose my question is... If I left Plusnet for another provider would I see the identical results?

10 REPLIES 10
BiAndSpy
Grafter

Re: Very slow speeds averaging 0.7Mbps

I have just noticed a Service Notification

12:27am, Saturday 10 Dec 2016

Bandwidth usage has been reset

Does anyone know what this means and does this explain why I get terrible speeds?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I feel like Plusnet play with your speeds and only give people who complain better (temporary) speeds?

I'm not sure why we'd do that? It's of no benefit to us at all to do so.

Testing your line is showing it's very stable recently:

However your line is currently only connecting through to the exchange at 1088, this means that something has caused a spike of noise/interference on your line causing the SNR to increase. This means your speeds have lowered.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 21.5 36
SNR Margin: 26.9 31
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 17290 76050
Speed: 448 1088

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 7392 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 5913
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 640
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 17280

I've put through a reset on your line which will drop the SNR target back down to 6db and should give you the speed you had previously back. If you don't see any change in the 30 minutes, please try a single disconnect/reconnect of the router.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Better speed if you left? Probably not.

Dig your heels in is my advice and demand a refund for the periods of slow speed. Visiting engineers do very little other than plug in their test equipment and like a doctor giving out pills, will change those sockets just to look proactive.

Good luck Thumbs_Up 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
BiAndSpy
Grafter

Thank you Chris for your very quick response.

The reason I said this is I have read that bandwith is not infinite and therefore some have to have slower to allow for some to have faster....but I am no expert and added this in the hope this would catch the eye of someone.

I am thankful of the information you have supplied and will endeavour to learn what it means. I am interested to know;

1) Why the resetting of the spike is not done automatically and therefore giving me the best speeds at ALL time?.

2) Am I right in assuming that if I had not raised the point, I would be constantly on the slower speeds?

3) Also will I get compensated for the time I have not been getting the 3 to 7Mbps? (I have kept a diary of the slow speeds since 25th November 2016).

BiAndSpy
Grafter

Thanks Minivanman, I was slow typing my reply to Chris and have just read your reply now....I was hoping you would say that the grass was greener on the other side and that leaving would be an instant fix!!

I have had both good and bad speeds, and good and bad customer service so I will try a little longer. It is so frustrating paying for a service that is intermittent.

I also like giving praise where praise is due and the response from Chris was very very quick...I just hope he gets it sorted.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

No worries, but a word of caution because although I had plenty of 'help' and comments from this forum nothing changed and I had a slow internet speed of under 1 Mbps for nearly six months. It took a lot of pushing and shoving on my part but in the end plusnet gave me a full refund for both my line and broadband and were jolted into giving me a tidy sum in compensation when I proceeded to take it further. 

Touch wood it's been working fine for a while now but broadband provision as a whole is rather abysmal and there is often little plusnet can do about it as they operate as middle men and not providers - that's all down to a guy whose first name starts with B and whose second starts with T. Wink 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@ypnisbad wrote:

Thank you Chris for your very quick response.

1) Why the resetting of the spike is not done automatically and therefore giving me the best speeds at ALL time?.

Changes to the line are performed by DLM (Dynamic Line Management) equipment at the exchange, this attempts to give the best balance of speed vs stability based on error rates and the information it sees from the line. It will make changes up and down depending on the line conditions, however as your exchange only supports an older technology, changes upwards do take more time.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

2) Am I right in assuming that if I had not raised the point, I would be constantly on the slower speeds?

Nope, although it may have taken a little longer for the DLM to intervene.

3) Also will I get compensated for the time I have not been getting the 3 to 7Mbps? (I have kept a diary of the slow speeds since 25th November 2016).

I'm afraid not, simply as we were not made aware of the issues until today so haven't been given an opportunity to resolve them.

Testing your line now shows a vastly improved speed, so if you power down your router, wait 30 seconds and then connect back up you should see the improvement.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BiAndSpy
Grafter

Thanks Chris, I immediately got 5.19 and now about 1.98.

What is the lowest speed you would expect I will get in the future if everything is working OK?

haywardsteve
Grafter

I have had the same kind of problem since January and I hope its been fixed today, My problem was something called REIN which puts interferance down the phone line and this mucks up the broadband even if you are on fibre ( the engineer said it makes fast broadband even worse than copper faults ) I had 6 engineers sent round who could not find the fault till a older guy went further into my setup and found a 60Khz hum on the line which just happens to be the broadband frequency so it blocked out the 1 and 0's coming down the line.

I wonder what responce you will get as I am still waiting for PN reply to my lengthy rants on the tickets raised

BiAndSpy
Grafter

I hope your problem gets fixed as I am know you will be as frustrated as I am.

I have just tried a speed test this morning and its lowest I have recorded at 0.23, and this is the day after they said they had found and fixed a problem. I think my problem is that I have not complained enough and was almost resigned to poor service but I will now contact Plusnet every time I get a sub-level performance and hopefully get at least a good percentage of what I am paying.