cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speed when heavy rain outside

johnnie7

Very slow speed when heavy rain outside

i spoke to customer support about this a few weeks ago and also last night
the BT enginner came out and tested my phone and line etc ...but because it was a dry day the line tested fine and i could get 7meg on the speed tests and web pages opened fine while he was there
last few days have rained non stop and the line is back down to a crawl and avarage about 1meg and web pages are very slow
i contacted plusnet support through the web chat window last night-
he advised me to raise a fault note and said that my line tests results are very bad and full of errors
i need a bt engineer to come out and test the line again but only when its been raining hard
can anyone help me with this problem?
thanks
john

4 REPLIES 4
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Very slow speed when heavy rain outside

With the information that you've provided, I'm tempted to think this could be a potential phone fault. It sounds like their is some sort of corrosion on the line, or a exposed joint. Next time you have a patch of bad weather, please do a quiet line test (by dialling 17070). This will help us to confirm.
Whatever happens, the ideal time to test the line would be when its raining so that, hopefully, a fault will be seen and it will then easier to locate it and get it fixed.
I suggest this is looked at as phone rather than broadband as it tends to be quicker to resolve. Of course if no fault is found, then we'll need to run full broadband tests for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
johnnie7

if you check your  records tony you will see that there is a long history of broadband errors
trouble is we dont seem to have bad reception on phone calls when its raining
and i believe BT charge for call outs - if no fault is found on phone faults?
this problem has got worse over the years
the phone wire that goes from the back of my house ,goes to a large wooden pole and fron there the wire goes underground--- right beside the wooden pole a  is a massive conifer tree ...i just wonder if the roots have gone deep into ground and affecting the phone cables
in the past BT have been reluctant to dig the ground up around the tree or wooden pole

what is your best advice for me to get this issue sorted for once and for all
johnnie7

because the ground is saturated with recent rain...with the snow and ice last few days i am lucky to get over 1meg...this really is not any use to me 
over the last couple of years the fault has gotten more noticeable ...but does not seem to affect my phone line to much degree
can u tell me what to do next?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

because the ground is saturated with recent rain...with the snow and ice last few days i am lucky to get over 1meg...this really is not any use to me 

Your line is currently in sync at 8080, giving a profile of 7100. The profile hasn't dropped much below this for quite a while. So only getting 1Mb throughput is odd.
Are you using wired or wireless and can you give the results of a BT Speedtest?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.