Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speed since connection and no word from PN

faceman
Dabbler

Very slow speed since connection and no word from PN

Hi all,
I joined Plusnet Home and Premium Broadband recently and the broadband was activated on the 16th March. Since then I've had download speeds of 250Kbps max and drop outs every now and then. I rode it out for the first 10 days but thought something was up as it never went higher, as if they weren't testing the line capabilities. BT say the line can handle ADSL2 at 6mb so it's not that the line can't handle more.
It's still just as bad if not worse and I raised a fault on Thursday, but their test was 'Inconclusive' and they couldn't complete it. I then had an automatic response saying it's escalated to the correct team and despite me updating them on my persistent connection and speed problems I haven't had a response from anyone saying that they are at least looking into it.
It's pretty frustrating and I expected teething problems, but it'd be nice if someone could let me know what was going on and that they are aware that I'm still having problems.
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Very slow speed since connection and no word from PN

Your connection speed is very low - it doesn't look like disconnections. Can you post your router stats please (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) - instructions for many routers here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please post the stats from your router - noise margin, attenuation and speeds
Also plug the router into the test socket and report the same
faceman
Dabbler

Hey,
Thanks for the speedy replies.
I've attached the details from my router. I don't have the right screwdriver to hand at the moment but will test it out when I get my hands on one.
win7xp
Grafter

With a downstream attenuation of 66.5 your line shhould connect at a max of 1472 and give you a profile of 1250.
Also perhaps someone more with more knowledge can correct me but I thought 992.3 Annex A was ADSL2+.
If it is you should connect just over 1700 with a profile of 1500.
You are definately not getting the max from your line and as Oldjim rightly says you need to plug directly into the test socket to eliminate internal wiring issues.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Don't know where yoo got the 6mb from, with your line attenuation i doubt youd get 2mb.  Here's a good site for all internet stuff. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Apprentice
Grafter

........... 992.3 Annex A was ADSL2+

Wiki says > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.3/4
Kitz says in Modulation, Line Mode para > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm
faceman
Dabbler

Hey,
I've plugged it into the test socket and the speed is still the same and the router stats are pretty similar (see attached). It's the only phone line in the house so I can't try it out anywhere else.  Any ideas what could be causing the problem? I've tried different filters, taking out the phone line, resetting the router, running antivirus etc.
The 6Mb speed was just what BT wholesale said the line can take, but I know it's unlikely to get close to that when you factor in all the other things.
Cheers
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you put your phone number and postcode into Kitz's line checker here, in the Exchange Information box how far does it say you are from the exchange - direct and by-road? In the BT Line Speed Estimation box does the value against DSL Max also show 6Mb?
David
faceman
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply spraxyt. It says I'm 1.34km direct and 1.93km by road from the exchange and DSL Max is 5Mb
pierre_pierre
Grafter

your connection time is shown as only 6 minutes.  Are you doing a lot of changes or do you keep switching it on and off
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: faceman
It says I'm 1.34km direct and 1.93km by road from the exchange and DSL Max is 5Mb

At that distance from the exchange I would expect the downstream attenuation to be around 45dB, with the upstream value about half that. That attenuation is also consistent with the quoted speed. So something is definitely wrong with your connection.
Have you tried an alternative microfilter, and also do you have an alternative router you could try (using the test socket), to eliminate faulty equipment as the source of the problem?
David
faceman
Dabbler

I've tried the 2 microfilters that came with it and both give the same speed. I don't  have another router to try unfortunately so can't eliminate that. Are Plusnet likely to send out another one to try if no other reason can be found for it?
It was only at 6 mins connection because that was when I'd switched over to the test socket and then looked up the stats. I just checked now after being left on since then and the stats are still near enough the same.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: faceman
I've tried the 2 microfilters that came with it and both give the same speed. I don't  have another router to try unfortunately so can't eliminate that. Are Plusnet likely to send out another one to try if no other reason can be found for it?

When you mentioned "speed" did you mean the speed from a speed-test, or the sync speed as reported by your router? If it's the former, you won't see any instantaneous change since the BT IP profile which limits speed-test results can take 3-5 days to respond to an improvement in sync speed (but only 75 minutes for a reduction). Cry
I think this problem really needs faults team investigation (as per your fault ticket) to progress it. Don't worry about the 'inconclusive' result you got, that is nothing unusual, just means human intervention is needed to progress it. I believe Plusnet will lend you a test router if required to support their tests.
David
faceman
Dabbler

Thanks for the info everyone . I think I'll ring up plusnet if they don't get back soon and see what the deal is. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon!