Did you mean: 

Very slow speed after changing to Plusnet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Very slow speed after changing to Plusnet

Adrian,
The current speed link can be found in my sig.  It should be 18.1Mbps.  The data speed tests are markedly below the profile.  Was that wired or wifi?
The attenuation suggests 1.2km and the synch speed is in the right area for that length/attenuation.
@CRT,
What is the line profile please - target SNRM - error rate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adriancartie
Dabbler

Hey guys,
These are the details from the plusnet line speed page
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
19.1 Mb
Not sure where I would find target SNRM or error rate to be honest. I dont see it listed anywhere,
@Cedlor, its just random that it happens, all my splitters are set up correctly etc. 17070 was busy every time I tried to ring it.
adriancartie
Dabbler

Oh, and the test was done via wifi. I dont have an ethernet port on my laptop. I do have other things which are connected by ethernet such as PS4, TV and they seem to drop out too.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Adrian,
Do not recall if it was on this thread that I mentioned the importance of a full set of concurrent stats.  If a line is dropping a lot (as yours seems to be the stats will be changing all of the time.  If stats are not taken a a set of three (modem, bt speed test and PN profile) then any stat taken at a seperate time is meaningless.  That PlusNET profile does not correlate with the last set of stats I looked at for you.  Therefore I cannot comment on if the figure is correct for the current synch speed.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for the delay!

WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Speed:  1235  20536 
SNR: 1.6
Indicative Line Quality:  A 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  156
Errored Seconds:  124 
Personally from looking at those stats I'd suggest an increase in the target SNR to 6db, as although we're not seeing a large amount of drops on the connection the error rate is quite high.
@adriancartie - Let me know if you want me to do that, you will lose a little speed but it should help stabilise the line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adriancartie
Dabbler

Hi Chris, thanks for getting in touch. We could try that to see if it helps. Although it doesnt explain why with the last provider I was on when I had ADSL I never had this problem and had a full 20mb.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We can give the 6db margin a go, see if that helps improve things. If not we can look at other options from there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adriancartie
Dabbler

Nice, thanks Chris.
adriancartie
Dabbler

And we're back again. Still seem to be getting occasional drops and its starting to get infuriating. I'm paying for a service which Sky manage to run extremely well, I don't understand how Plusnet have managed to break it (Or openreach, whoever is at fault here)
I've tried a new router, a new router attached directly into the master socket, the old router in the master socket. A secondary router doubling up wifi distance incase it was that. I've tried different splitters, checking phone line strength, there's nothing else I can do. I'm still getting extremely regular drops (wifi doesn't drop, and the router doesn't say it has been disconnected, but pages refuse to load for about a minute, games disconnect during the same time period too. This is happening on a frequent basis at least a dozen times during the day.
This is using both a combination of wifi and ethernet too. All my consoles/TVs anything that doesnt move, uses ethernet. My laptop doesn't have an ethernet so it uses the wifi. I've reset everything up to be exactly as it was when I had ADSL with sky and the result is I get half the speed and disconnections. What is going on?
Router stats:

Basic Status
Device Information
Firmware Version:0.6.0 0.11 v003e.0
Build 150427 Rel.60143n
Hardware Version:Archer D2 v1 00000000
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/L
Upstream/Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1167/8247
Max Rate (Kbps) 1172/8632
SNR Margin (dB) 6/3.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 10.1/17.9
Errors (Pkts) 0/0
BT Diagnostic:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.7 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.28 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.8Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
17.5 Mb
adriancartie
Dabbler

Jumped the gun on this one. One of the new filters I put on before this morning seems to be faulty. Speed had gone up but Im betting Ill still get some disconnects. Will report back.