Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speed after changing to Plusnet

adriancartie
Dabbler

Very slow speed after changing to Plusnet

Hi,
I recently changed from Sky Fibre (before this I had Sky ADSL) to Plusnet ADSL. I was getting abysmally slow speeds of 0.2mb after switching over finally occurred. When I had ADSL in the past I was always getting roughly 20mb down as I'm about 100metres from the exchange.
I got in touch with Plusnet and the speed slowly went up to 17mb for about a week, then all of a sudden it dropped back down to 0.2mb about a week later. The first time I contacted Plusnet chat the customer service was really friendly, they raised a fault on the line. The last two times I contacted has been very cold and just telling me to log a fault using the system myself. I went to log a fault but it tells me if its the router I will have to pay for the BT engineer to come out. I don't have a second router to try as the only one I have is provided by plusnet. I absolutely am not paying for an engineer to come out for something that could be Plusnets router when everything was brilliant before my switch.
Can this issue be looked into properly. I KNOW I can get 20mb or close speeds, 0.2mb is ridiculous and so far I'm absolutely regretting changing over to Plusnet.
EDIT: Just to note, the router is currently plugged into the master socket with the faceplate off, I get a clear dial tone on the phone too.
Noise margin:   6.2/30.5
Line attenuation: 11.0/22.5
BT TEST:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.84Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
24 REPLIES 24
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Very slow speed after changing to Plusnet

Hi Adrian,
Welcome to the forums.  There is clearly an issue withe the BT side of things.  The BT 2Mbps profile is the starting point - before you get anywhere near PlusNET, BT are limiting your line's synch speed - the question is why?
Can you please follow the self help advice in the speed issues thread below.  Can you please post the FULL stats from the router?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your line had been banded between 1 and 2mbps.
I've pushed through a reset which should take this off.
Try it in the next 10 to 15 minutes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
adriancartie
Dabbler

Thanks Matt, things seem to have sped up.
Data rate: 1240/17226
Maximum data rate: 1244/17192
Noise margin: 6.3/6.0
Line attenuation: 11.0/22.5
Download speed achieved during the test was - 14.89 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15.2 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.06Mbps
Additional Information:
Here's hoping it doesn't go back down again like last time.
Cheers,
Adrian
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Matthew

Matthew - any indications of why this line got banded?  Without considering that, there is a better than 50 - 50 chance the same might happen again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adriancartie
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
Quote from: Matthew

Matthew - any indications of why this line got banded?  Without considering that, there is a better than 50 - 50 chance the same might happen again.

I'm thinking the same. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I'm thinking something might have gone awry when downgrading me from fibre personally but who knows.
Cheers
Adrian
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately it's not easy to see why banding has been applied. There has been a few drops on the line that may have contributed, see the graph below.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

All sorted here now?

adriancartie
Dabbler

Its been a couple of weeks now and I still seem to be having periods where browsers stop loading stuff, it feels like I'm disconnecting but by the tim Ive checked the router it seems okay. Could you pull up another diagram showing the disconnects? The router shouldn't have been physically disconnected for several weeks now as I bought a new one which I thought could be the cause of the problem.
Many thanks,
Arran
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Arran,
Can you please post your current router stats.

adriancartie
Dabbler

Ah, forgot about those. I'll post back here in a week when Im back home! Smiley
adriancartie
Dabbler

Hey, finally got my router stats now that I'm home.

UpstreamDownstream
Current Rate123520536
Max Rate (Kbps)122419928
SNR Margin (dB)5.81.8
Line Attenuation (dB)1017.6
Errors (Pkts)00

Would it be possible to get an reports on drops over the last few weeks at all?
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adrian,
Thank you for those stats; two things jump out from them - the 5dB reduction in the line's attenuation (length) and the extreamly low SNRM.
What changes (if any other than a new router) have been made to your installation since you started this thread?  Different routers can report line attenuation differently, but this is a big variation.  Can you please check you estimated line length here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
Which modem are you using?  Have you sought to adjust the SNRM (through modem settings) to deliver a higher synch speed?  That low SNRM could lead to line instability and banding yet again.  Also very low SNRM with higher synch speed can lead to elevated error rates thereby lowering effective data rates.
Can you please post a full set of current info - modem stars, BTw speed test (further diagnostics) ignoring the instructions to reboot the modem and the plusnet current speed.

adriancartie
Dabbler

Thanks Townman, The only change has been the router change. I've still got it plugged into the master socket. I'm using a AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router.
Below are all my stats:
Distance from Exchange
Exchange: Blyth
BT Code: NEBH
Distance Direct: 500 metres
By Road: 1 km

BT Test
Download speed achieved during the test was - 14.55 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 18.12 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.93Mbps
Additional Information:
Modem/Router Stats
Upstream/Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1235/20536
Max Rate (Kbps) 1248/20292
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1/2.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 10/17.6
Errors (Pkts) 0/0
I cant seem to see the section that used to be under Connection Settings for my account. The link that used to be there just isn't there any more.
I'll have a play with some of the router settings. It just seems really strange to be it just drops for a minute and then connects back. Same thing was happening with the old router after I plugged it in to the master socket directly. The speed itself is better now since its in the master socket, however its not nearly as good as it used to be before I changed to fibre. Nearly always had a consistent 20-21mb download. I'm sure something has gone awry in changing me from fibre back to ADSL.
Thanks,
Adrian
cedlor
Grafter

Plusnet figure is in the link at the bottom of my post.
Are you getting incoming calls - do the "drops" coincide with those?
Have you tried the silent line test with a corded phone 17070 option2
Maybe when you were reconnected to adsl you got a poor pair of wires.