Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow internet connection

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Very slow internet connection

@Jingleman1 I have no idea what your issue is or why you are posting so much on someone's else's thread, Maybe if you started your own, people could help?

What speeds is your line expected to provide, input your number on the DSL Checker and post the results. 

Jingleman1
Dabbler

This is a complete red herring. I was getting good speeds of up to 66 megs for two years. Now they are down to 2megs. Not what I pay for.

And I posted on "somebody else's" thread because there was a common problem. Poor speeds. And I am not the only one.

I was under the misapprehension that this discussion group belonged to Plusnet.

jt2

Just to add to this - my connection has been terrible since last week, and yesterday (Sunday) streaming problems x 4 whilst watching BBC iplayer. Never had such problems since taking out contract last Sept. I have had an email re: increase of charge - so am now seriously thinking of getting out of the contract and going with BT - thanks to MSE website doing a broadband checker they do the leg work re: deals. 

I was initially pleased with Plusnet especially as I was paying £30+ with Virgin Media - but then again over 6yrs with VM I had very few broadband issues - nothing like this last week with Plus net.

I plan to put aside time to sit waiting on the phone to report the fault - but have doubts how helpful it will be as I think it is a case of getting what you pay for. Anyway at least the start of this week has heralded a fully functioning internet / broadband without the frustration of flashing lights on the little white plastic modem 🙂

Jackie

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jt2 I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your connection. I can see that our tests have picked up an external fault and that this has been raised to our supplier for further investigation. Our faults team will contact you once we have received an update on this.

@Jingleman1 I can see that we have ordered a new router for you to try and that this should be with you within the next week. Please let us know if you continue to experience these problems once you have connected the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Jingleman1
Dabbler

Thank you for letting me know.

I always thought there was an external problem. For some strange reason, my IP address shows an Algerian number!

This of course raises the questions:

1. Why did one of your colleagues blame the router?

2. Why did you try to charge me seven pounds for delivery for a "free" product that I never needed?

3. Why did one of your lick-spittle correspondents try to bully me into filling in some kind of meaningless speed comparison log?

4. What sort of compensation are going to give me for the loss of time, frustration, and interruption to my agreed (and paid for) service levels?

Many thanks.

Regards

Tim

Jingleman1
Dabbler

Kasia
Hooked

It’s been a week since I have completely useless internet connection. I was promised during the help line call that someone will contact me on Tuesday the latest. Unfortunately it didn’t happen. When can I expect my problem to be solved?
K
Kasia
Hooked

I would also appreciate if you could tell me what do I need to do in terms of leaving Plusnet? How should I let Plusnet know about my decision - call, email?
Thanks
Jingleman1
Dabbler

Ring them. Then put it in writing. Say you are terminating the contract because PN has not kept its side of the bargain. Ask them to issue the necessary documentation so that you can arrange another supplier to provide you with broadband services. Also seek compensation, on a daily rate, for the period you have been disconnected. Plus something for your distress. Keep the bill under a grand. That means the most you pay in court fees is under a hundred pounds (but you will pay more if it goes to trial; which it won't). The good news is that you get the money back when you win.

Plusnet will probably not play ball. You change suppliers. You then take out a case in the Small Claims Court. You can do most of it online. It is not intended to involve lawyers, although the company will either use their inhouse people or use an external law firm. But bear in mind lawyers charge from £200 an hour upwards. And they can't claim this back from you. Even if you lose. So it would make sense for them to buy you off (surely, settle? Ed).

And before you do any of this, email your local paper with a nice pic of you with a hammer over your router, and you looking angry or glum. The resulting bad publicity will cost Plusnet thousands of pounds. I do not have time to explain why. Just trust me.

Don't get mad; get even.

Jingleman1
Dabbler

Bear in mind that if all this looks too complex then your local Citizens Advice Bureau will have lots of people to support you. Just remember them at Christmas as they are a charity.

Kasia
Hooked

I don’t want to go to the war with Plusnet, I just want to be able to use the internet. I understand that errors may happen but I also expect that they’ll be fixed or at least that I’ll be informed what’s going on and how long it will take to sort things out. At the moment I’m waiting for the contact from Plusnet and I’m truly worried that I will have to wait at least another few days for the problem to be solved. I know it’s “just an internet” but these days life without it it’s quite frustrating.
Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Kasia,

I am sorry to learn of the difficulties you have been experiencing with your broadband connection. If things go wrong we always aim to put them right and I can see a broadband fault is currently active. We have raised a ticket on your account which can be viewed here. I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something ,although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop and speed increases. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault and getting an engineer out to investigate further. Let us know how it goes. - Wasim

jt2

All sorted now - must say help line and BT open reach engineer both very helpful. 

Fingers x'ed it will continue as am now pleased with the service.

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @jt2,

Thank you for your feedback. I am confident the issue is now resolved but if you experience any further difficulties give us a shout.

Kasia
Hooked

So you’re telling me that nothing’s going on with my case? That you’re waiting for me to do all those checks? I spoke to your help line on Saturday and your consultant has told me that it looks like there’s a problem with the signal that goes to the socket not from the socket to the router. He said you (or your supplier) gonna do more tests and someone will call me on Tuesday and will let me know about the further procedure. He also mentioned that engineer visit probably will be necessary. Now, after all these days I was waiting for you to call me (no one did btw!) you’re telling me that we’re back to square one?!