cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow fibre??

jrpaton

Very slow fibre??

Moved into a new premises, been waiting eagerly for fibre, estimated d/l speed 57mbps, only getting 6.5-7.1.
Was told our old broadband router would work with fibre, but it doesnt, and have now been forced to pay out for a new one which hasnt arrived yet.
Currently plugged directly into the BT modem with ethernet cable - I cant see how this would be detrimental, is it?
Also our '10 days of testing' in which our 'line speed will stabilise'  will be coming to an end in 2 days time, and we still wont have had a working router arrive - is this going to affect overall speed?
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Very slow fibre??

Please post the full results of the BT Speedtest further diagnostics and the Plusnet current line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jrpaton

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
BT speed test results:
Download 6.82
Upload  1.8
Ping 16.5ms
Further Diagnostics:

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
6.82 Mbps

0 Mbps 38.72 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.82 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.8 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.8Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
picbits
Rising Star

It sounds like you could be on the 40Mb profile instead of the 80Mb profile and Plusnet have possibly not updated your speed profile on their systems.
I could be totally wrong though.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yep, looks like your fibre service has been provisioned on the 40/2 product by mistake. Also, as picbits said, your Plusnet profile requires updating.
You could contact Customer Services over the weekend, but it's probably easier to wait until Monday when the Digital Care Team staff should be here again. They will place a modify order on BT to correct the product, and fix your profile.
David
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there
I've updated the current line speed for you now so you should see a increase in the next 15 minutes.
On top of that I've also placed the order to move you over to the correct 80/20 service
This will complete Tuesday morning and should push your speeds higher
Your account is still showing as a ADSL account rather than fibre which is the cause for some of these issues.
I don't have the permissions to get this changed myself but I've passed it onto the correct people and this should be done in the next couple of days
Any further issues please let me know
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jrpaton

Many thanks for the help! Been away over the new year and come back to find a new router too, so you have given me a good start to 2014! New results:
Telephone number:
<snip>
Phone exchange:
ASHFORD
Estimated line speed:
59Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-01-02 12:08:44
Current line speed:
78 Mb

Broadband Speed Checker says i have 42.93 down and 15.07 up, but that's over wireless. Strangely I cant seem to get the ethernet connection working now that I have the router between the modem and PC  Huh I guess I should leave that to a seperate thread?
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  phone number removed ]
picbits
Rising Star

You may find you get a lot faster with a wired connection.
Don't forget to disable the wireless on your laptop before you plug in an ethernet cable or strange things can happen when you run both connections simultaneously.
*Edit - make sure you edit out your phone number above or we'll all start ringing you to annoy you Wink
jrpaton

ah yes cheers for removing the number jim, d'oh!
Yes, I would like to have my ethernet connection just to the PC, tried it with wireless switched off etc, and this is actually how I was using the internet before my router arrived today - directly to the modem. Now that the router sits between modem and PC, it doesn't like it! Huh I tried switching the firewall/antivirus off briefly as well, as there was something about that in the error message i got:
The connection to www.bbc.co.uk was interrupted.
Check your Internet connection.
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server...
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".
Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
picbits
Rising Star

I'm about to go to bed but on your wired PC, click on start, type in CMD then IPCONFIG and post back the results. It may be the PC either isn't getting an IP address from the router or you may still have it configured to used the PPPoE through the network port.
jrpaton

IPconfig pic attached, I think you may be right as it still lists 'plusnet connection' among my available connections, which says 'connecting through WAN Miniport  (PPPOE). This is the ethernet connection I had set up when I was plugged directly into the router. How do I change this?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Did you set an IP address for the PC manually when you configured the dial up connection? If so, go into the local area connection properties, highlight TCP/IP in the list and click the properties button underneath there, then change that to 'get IP address automatically', apply/OK all boxes then reboot the PC, see if that makes any difference?
192.168.137.1 doesn't look like the subnet our routers use is why I mention this.
If it's already set to get automatically then try running these two commands from the command prompt:
ipconfig /release
then once that's finished
ipconfig /renew
Hope that helps?
picbits
Rising Star

As Matt said - that looks like a strange IP address, normally you'd expect it to be in the range of 192.168.1.1-254 or 192.168.0.1-254 depending on the router.
I've not set up a PPPoE connection on my system before so can't suggest how to "un set it up" but if you're running Win 7 or Win 8, make sure your IPv4 settings on your network card are set to automatic IP and automatic DNS
When you connect your PC up to your router via the ethernet cable, your PC should ask the router for an IP and set of DNS servers which the router will hand out - your IPCONFIG screen will have different values in if this happens Smiley