cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow download speed compared to IP profile

hpares
Dabbler

Very slow download speed compared to IP profile

Well finally moved into my new place 2 days ago, first thing I did was get the computer setup and test my connection speed. Initially all seemed good and I got a download speed of 14.37Mb/s (result from speedtest.net 03/12/2011)
Next day woke up and things were noticeably slower, so did another speedtest, result was 8.34 Mb/s (04/12/2011) which was a big drop. So busy unpacking etc. didn't really have time to use the computer anyway so just left it.
Now today just checked again and its even slower still at 2.83 Mb/s Sad which is over 5 times slower than my first test! Done a few tests and its consistently staying around this 2.8 Mb/s figure.
I ran the test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com and got the following results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2679 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :19604 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 445 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 17296 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 358 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 445 Kbps
So my actual download speed is way below my IP profile and I'm very disappointed  Cry
My router stats are:
ADSL Line State: Showtime
Downstream: 19604 Kbps
Upstream: 445 Kbps
Mode: G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
Transmit Power: 12.3 dB
ADSL Link UP Time: 0 day 0 hour 28 min 41 sec
SNR Margin (Downstream / Upstream): 3.0 dB / 26.5 dB
Line Attenuation (Downstream / Upstream): 30.5 dB / 8.5 dB
CRC Errors (Downstream / Upstream): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Downstream / Upstream): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Downstream / Upstream): 0 / 0
Router is a Zoom x6, connected to master socket shared by one phone (micro filter in-between). No other sockets in the property are being used. I have also tried a Thompson 516 router which gives the exact same speeds.
The estimated speed for the property was approx 17 Mb/s which was one of the factors I used in picking the property as I require a semi decent speed, so I'm very disappointed with the 2.8 Mb/s I'm currently getting  Angry
I don't suppose anyone could shed any light on this?

9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Very slow download speed compared to IP profile

Your IP profile dropped to 3000 over the weekend and then jumped back to 17296. We hadn't yet received the delta report saying to up your profile again that's why you were seeing lower speeds. I've manually increased that now for you and you should see your speed increase in the next few minutes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hpares
Dabbler

Thanks for your help Chris. Unfortunately my speed never increased Sad
I've just run a BT speedtest now and my IP profile has plummeted again  Angry
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2462 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate : 3068 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2706 Kbps

I am getting some dropped connections so I guess this may be the cause of my problems. Initially I was using my own Zoom X6 router (which worked almost flawlessly at my old property) but for some reason I was getting lots of dropped connections (every 10-15 mins) with it so switched to a plusnet provided Thompson 516 which seemed better. Last night I decided to try the Zoom X6 again but it seemed to be dropping the DSL connection so I reverted back to the Thompson 516, which has been plugged in for maybe 20-24 hrs now. I believe it has dropped its connection about 2 times in that period.
Am I right in believing I have to maintain a steady connection for a few days before my speed will be increased? Is 1-2 dropped connections a day enough to prevent my speed from ever getting increased? I cannot see any way in which I can prevent the connection dropping, the router is plugged into the master socket (there doesn't appear to be a test socket) and no other sockets in the property are being used. I am scared to fiddle with anything in case I cause even more dropouts and delay my speed getting increased.
I was really excited about getting a decent internet connection as my old one was very slow (rural area), so I'm eager to get up and running at the speed my line can obviously support. How many dropped connections warrant the IP profile getting downgraded?
Any help or advise on how I can get my connection up and running to its full capabilities would be most appreciated!

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: hpares
Am I right in believing I have to maintain a steady connection for a few days before my speed will be increased? Is 1-2 dropped connections a day enough to prevent my speed from ever getting increased?

Yes, that's the case. One or two may not make a lot of difference but it depends how many errors there are on the line - is this reported by the router? I suspect the combination of both will be preventing your profile from improving.
Quote from: hpares
I cannot see any way in which I can prevent the connection dropping, the router is plugged into the master socket (there doesn't appear to be a test socket) and no other sockets in the property are being used.

Hmm. I assume it's in the master socket with a microfilter? It might be worth checking for noise on the line when making phone calls (call 17070 from the phone for the quiet line test and let us know if you hear any noise - hisses, pops, crackles - that sort of thing). If so we could look at raising a fault on the phone line which might end up getting the master socket replaced and updated. If not then we could try raising a dropping connection issue to attempt achieving the same ends.
Hope that helps, please let us know.
hpares
Dabbler

Hi Matt, I don't think the Thompson ST516 reports errors... or at least I cannot find them anywhere in the web control panel. It just shows Uptime (currently 22hrs 47min), Modulation, Bandwidth and Data Transferred.
Yes it is the master socket as far as I know (its the ones the BT engineers used, and seems to be the main one coming into the property), although it does look different from most master sockets I've encountered before. I've attached some pictures to explain better.
Pic 1 shows the faceplate of the socket which also has TV/Sat aerial sockets on it. Pic 2 shows socket with faceplate removed. Pic 3&4 show telephone wiring in the socket.
I've heard about disconnecting the ring wire to reduce interference. Is this worth doing? Can I fit a BT iplate to this socket?
The property is a apartment in a converted mill only completed in 2006 so its relatively new and finished to a high standard. So I would have thought the internal wiring should be pretty good.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi hpares,
I've seen sockets like that before, they seem to be fitted in a lot of apartments of blocks of flats.
I've heard about disconnecting the ring wire to reduce interference. Is this worth doing?

That can help, I'd advise being cautious if you're planning to do that yourself though.
The property is a apartment in a converted mill only completed in 2006 so its relatively new and finished to a high standard. So I would have thought the internal wiring should be pretty good.

I'd not assume that if something is relatively new that it's to a good standard, it's probably OK but I've found that wiring in newer builds isn't always of the best quality. Are there any sockets running away from the main socket at all?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hpares
Dabbler

There is 3 other telephone points throughout the property. 2 downstairs, and one upstairs. They all look like the attached picture below. None are being used.
What do you think is my best plan of action... just wait a few more days to see if my IP profile goes back up? (Router has been connected for 1 day 52 mins now)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Again I'd err on the side of caution but it can be advantageous to have unused extensions disconnected, I'd keep that in mind for now and see how things go over the next 72 hours, following that if there's no improvement I'd advise you raise a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hpares
Dabbler

OK I found the stats section on the thompson router... I thought I would post them as they are quite different to the 1st ones I posted from the Zoom x6:
Uptime: 1 day, 21:31:10
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 3,068
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 13.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.0 / 30.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,663
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
There is a couple of things I'm not entirely sure of:
1) Line attenuation for downstream has dropped from 30.5 dB to 13.0 dB (lower is better right?)
2) SN Margin downstream has gone up from 3.0 dB to 30.0 dB ...this is the one that confuses me the most. Is a higher figure better or worse? I know a higher SNR value is better but what does the margin mean?
I've been connected for nearly 48hrs straight now, so it looks like my line is stable enough. I did the quiet line test and couldn't hear and discernible noise so I think my line is OK too.
My current speedtest results are:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2203 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate : 3068 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2706 Kbps
I see my DSL connection rate has severely dropped from 19604 Kbps downsteam to 3068 Kbps since my 1st reading. Is this something I should be worried about or will it increase naturally? and how long will it take? I assume the IP profile cannot increase until my DSL connection rate increases.
My apologies if I am not being patient enough here, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to get my speed up as quickly as possible,  I'm worried it might be stuck or something  Crazy

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks to me like the DLM has put you on a banded profile and until the system removes that the current sync speed is the best you'll get. Banded profiles usually mean the line is prone to disconnections and/or the error rates (CRC and HEC Errors) are excessive. Given time (perhaps a few days, but could be longer), and suitable line performance the DLM should increase the banding range or remove it altogether. However the disconnections you've mentioned could prevent that happening.
I would be inclined to raise a dropping connection fault at http://faults.plus.net to get your line checked over. Since you don't have an NTE5 master socket the best you can do is ensure your extensions are not in use.
David