cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband

GBarrett

Very slow broadband

Hi, I can see others have raised similar issues so hoping someone can check up on this for me. Broadband has recently been very slow.

I've run the BT performance test which comes up with download of 0.66Mbps and upload 0.98Mbps, ping latency 496. I can't see the guaranteed speed on my account page, but this seems really slow even compared to other reported slow speeds. It's pretty much impossible to download anything.

Is there any explanation or fix for this?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
GBarrett

Re: Very slow broadband

This is over ethernet cable btw, not just wifi speeds.

Intro email from Plusnet advises "The estimated broadband speed range for your line is between 6.5Mb and 8.5Mb" which I'm assuming is the "minimum guaranteed speed". However BTW test result below: 

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  0.66 Mbps

0 Mbps 1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.66 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.98 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.98Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

(I don't actually think this is an acceptable range of speeds given that I'm paying as much as people in other areas of the UK who have a decent speed- I'm assuming it's issues with the line if that's the maximum it can reach here, but previously it has been adequate, so not sure why it should be this low now).

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

That information alone will not enable forum members to help you resolve this problem (although PN staff may pick this thread up and run their own tests). Can you have a look at this post : https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501 , and see if it helps?

John
GBarrett

But that post just says to do exactly what I have done, i.e. use ethernet cable rather than wifi and do the BT line test. I have the plusnet router they supplied, but the page linked from that post doesn't provide stats for it. The post linked doesn't actually seem to have any instructions for improving speed? I am certain at this stage that the problem is in the line as the quoted line speed on the plusnet page is also lower than when I opened the account with them (says max 1Mb whereas the quote when I signed up was 6.5 - 8.5, otherwise I would not have signed up!).

Obviously I'm not expecting random forum members to resolve this, as it's an issue with PlusNet/BT, thanks though anyway.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you bear with us you may find that we random forum members can sometimes give helpful advice.

If you want to know what your line should be capable of put your telephone number in here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Have you done a quiet line test? If not ring 17070 and select option 2. If there's noise on the line then repoert a phone fault.

If that's OK then remove the front section of the BT faceplate (you may need to remove two screws) this will reveal the test socket. Plug a filter in here, connect this directly to your router and repeat the BT speed test.

If this shows a speed outside of the dsl checker speed range then there is definitely a fault that needs reporting to Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@GBarrett Just to follow from @Baldrick1s comment - there are other suggestions (and requests for a little more information from you), which may help us random members help you.

John
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @GBarrett

I have reset some settings on your line, and re-tested it. I am seeing 11.4Mbps on the downstream now. Please can you re-test your line and let me know how it goes.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 16.3 35.0
SNR Margin: 6.0 6.0
Errored Seconds: 1 6
HEC Errors: 7  
Cell Count: 26394 30793
Speed: 1183 11399