Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband

GeorgeS
Hooked

Very slow broadband

Hi

For a while my broadband has been getting slower and slower. I normally get about 3.5-4mbps, now it varies widely from 0.4mbps to normal.  Watching video has become frustrating with lots of buffering and blocky pictures. Youtube often goes below 360p and still can't play without buffering.

12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Very slow broadband

Your line seems pretty stable:

Your line is currently connected at (20CN line):

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss   SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors   Speed
27.5   21 0 0   448

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss   SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors   Speed
51   10 1 0   3968

And your estimates are:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available -- --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --

So you're actually connected above the estimates for your area, if the speed regularly drops it's worth getting a fault reported but if you're above 1Mb/s I'm afraid there's likely little we can do.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi George, you are not alone Smiley I too have suffered both slow broadband and poor support recently........

Your line is stable, but for some reason they are forcing you to use 9dB SNR in the downlink instead of 6, this limits your downlink speed. For them to say if your getting 1Mbps your lucky is clearly rubbish, my advice is to change ISP to someone who pays attention to you and doesn't fob you off!!

Your line is synching at nearly 4Mbps at 10dB SNR, if it isnt performing then there is a GLARING FAULT.

In my case I have a wet line as every time it rains the SNR drops badly AND I have OPENREACH frequently tampering with my pair causing outages, both of these cause my synch rate to drop but Plusnet refuse to follow the issue up with OPENREACH grrrrr

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Chris
Legend

For them to say if your getting 1Mbps your lucky is clearly rubbish, my advice is to change ISP to someone who pays attention to you and doesn't fob you off!!

That's not what I've said at all, however if we try and report a fault when a line is within estimates they often get rejected.

I did also say:

if the speed regularly drops it's worth getting a fault reported

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good point.  Noise margin showing as 10dB.  

Plusnet - What is the line set to in terms of target NM?   With a low error rate I can't see any reason for it not to be set at the normal 6dB.

George - in your shoes I'd consider getting a router where you can control the SNR yourself.   It would only need the tiniest tweak to get the synch speed over 4000 which in turn would improve your profile from 3.0meg to 3.5meg.    Just looking at the attenuation it's possible you could get it up fast enough to get the 4.0meg profile.

Unfortunately based on my own experience there's a chance you're going to get more of the attitude shown above, your concerns dismissed on the basis that you're doing better than "the estimate".

Chris
Legend

On 20CN and 21CN lines we use the Fault Threshold Rate too along with the estimates, again this line is syncing above both of those.

The SNR is at a target of 9db, reducing this is likely to lower the 'Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):' and potentially cause connection issues.

I'm happy to reset the line if required though.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 27.5 51
SNR Margin: 21 9
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 252436 7167278
Speed: 448 3968

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 4000 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 3200
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2700
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 356
GeorgeS
Hooked

Thanks for all the replies so far.  It is frustrating when for years we have had much better service.  While the connection stats seem much the same, in practice it has been ropey with lots of buffering or watching video in SuperJaggyVision. Smiley 

Chris, in your email you mentioned getting the line moved from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ to see how that performs. Does that involve a BT engineer going to the exchange?

Chris
Legend

I'm afraid that wasn't accurate. I edited my initial post to remove comments about that as it's simply not available at your exchange I'm afraid.

GeorgeS
Hooked

Ah right, no problem.  Can you reset the line?

Chris
Legend

Yep, I'll go sort that now. It means your line enters a 10 day training period and we can't reset it again during that time.

GeorgeS
Hooked

It's been a bit better for a few days but then tonight at 8PM....

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 0.22 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

It's been unusable for about 40 minutes, video buffering endlessly and pages timing out.  I've reset the router however it made no difference.

While writing this it has improved:

broadband speed.jpg
Did anything go down 8PM?

Thanks

Chris
Legend

No issues we're aware of, how's it looking today?

pinkplatforms

I agree, and trying to get through to Customer Support is a joke. It takes them over 2 hours to reply on Twitter, and they just send you a link which is useless.

Time to leave, especially since they're planning to put up the price for their so called service!