cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband

mafracol46

Very slow broadband

I have had very slow ASDL broadband for over a week. There were no changes to my system. I went through the recommended procedures:
Changed micro filter
Changed router
Connected router to main socket
Connected router to laptop by Ethernet cable
I have also done everything to speed up my my computer.
Broadband speed test:
Download speed 0.30 Mbps
Upload speed 0.38 Mbps
Ping latency 53.13
PlusNet say my speed should be between 2.0 and 5.5
I asked PlusNet to investigate. On 23.11.15 they said they were performing tests which would take up to 24 hours. 52 hours later there is no improvement and no information.
adie:red changed all caps title as per link:rules]
37 REPLIES 37
MatrixRob
Grafter

Re: VERY SLOW BROADBAND

Hi, I can totally sympathise with your situation, as I too have been having ADSL speed issues from around ten days ago.
Someone will be around soon to assist.
In the meantime, you may wish to view my ADSL issue and see if there are any similarities or even make you feel better.
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
mummra
Dabbler

Re: Very slow broadband

Hi,
I have pretty much the same problem, only been with plusnet since October, went from 8mb/s to less than 1mb/s for no apparent reason, I have also taken the same steps as you and awaiting results!
MatrixRob
Grafter

Albeit under frustrating circumstances, welcome to the forum.
I get the feeling that an ADSL issue has happened and we are being treated like mushrooms.. Wink
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You've had some strange line event Rob, it happens Huh  I've posted on your thread.
Hi mafracol46 and mummra, welcome to the forum both.
If you are both using a Plusnet modem/router can you post the full xDSL stats(link in my sig - it'll prompt you to log into it - use the details on the plastic card). Just copy and paste the info into a post here. Can you also post your Current Line speeds (Login required) - don't post your phone numbers!
We'll see whether the data can give some pointers that you might be able to prod Plusnet with.
mafracol46

xDSL STATS
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:24:59
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 288
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1,36 / 4,88
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,4 / 47,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11,0 / 28,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 155 / 2
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
LINE SPEEDS

Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
Estimated line speed:
3.0Mb (This may vary between 2Mb and 5.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-11-18 17:55:02
Current line speed:
0.2 Mb

Anotherone
Champion

Hi mafracol46.
That downstream sync speed is the cause of the problem, you've had a line issue of some sort. It looks to be a chronically banded (ie limited) speed which the exchange automated DLM has imposed on your connection for some reason.
A few checks then. Do you have a Master Socket like any of those, if so which? Or do you have one where the modem/router socket is above the phone socket?
Do you have any hardwired extension sockets? Where are you currently plugged in?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this? Is anything/everything (that includes Sky boxes and the like) plugged into the line with a microfilter?
Can you hear any audible noise on the phone line? Use the Quiet Line Test 17070 Option 2 if need be.
Edit: Update Microfilters link.
mafracol46

Hi Anotherone
Thanks for your advice.
I have an NTE5 socket. The router is plugged direct into this master socket. I didn't see any pictures of microfilters in your link so I can't say if mine look like those. After the problem arose I changed the microfilter (not a new one though) and the fault persisted. Other than three phones, the router is the only device plugged into the phone line - no Sky boxes or anything. There are several hard wired phone extensions. Tried quiet line test - absolutely silent.
mummra
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for your help!
    Statistics -- xDSL

Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Traffic Type: ATM
    Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding(Trellis): On On
    SNR Margin (1 dB): 15.1 21.0
    Attenuation (1 dB): 43.0 24.5
    Output Power (1 dBm): 19.8 12.3
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5784 1120

Path 0 Path 1
    Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
    Rate (Kbps): 5248 448 0 0

K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 165 15 0 0
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 16 16 0 0
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1.00 8.00 0.0 0.0
    D (interleaver depth): 32 4 0 0
    Delay (msec): 8.00 8.00 0.0 0.0
    INP (DMT symbol): 1.41 0.13 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 16342 16342 0 0
    Super Frame Errors: 0 0 0 0
    RS Words: 1111222 138541 0 0
    RS Correctable Errors: 35 0 0 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0 0 0
    OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
    LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
    Total Cells: 3438703 0 0 0
    Data Cells: 11768 0 0 0
    Bit Errors: 0 0 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
    Total SES: 0 0
    Total UAS: 13 13

Estimated line speed:
    4.0Mb (This may vary between 2.5Mb and 7Mb) - Checked on 2015-10-14 22:38:59
Current line speed:
    1.25 Mb
6th Nov
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 4Mbps
Current line speed: 6.5Mbps
mummra
Dabbler

Small update...
It took about 15 seconds for "plusnet" to bring up search results in google, and then about 20 seconds to see the emergence of the plusnet homepage.......
whats going on? it was perfect!
Supertrooper
Grafter

Sorry to jump on your post but I can't work out how to start a new one. It's sort of related...My internet connection vanished today, along with my landline and I can't find out how to contact anyone (one hour wait on the phone? I don't think so...) thank god for iPads and mobile connection or I couldn't even get on here. I was a Madasafish customer and never had problems like this. Hoping someone will read this and advise if anything has gone wrong Plusnet end. I'm a customer in Cumbria.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Supertrooper, let me just reply to mummra first.
Hi mummra,
I'll reply to you first simply because yours should be the easiest and quickest to solve.You had what they call a low sync event at some point, that would have reduced the BT IP Profile and your Current Line speed (Login required) followed - in your post it's 1.25Mbps. The IP Profile should now be ~4.62Mbps with your current sync rate of 5248. At the time of your post the Current Line Speed hadn't caught up. Check it again now, it should be 4.6Mbps. If it isn't, run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. The output of the 2nd test should show the BT IP Profile - do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image). If the IP Profile is 4.62, then get onto the Web Chat and ask them to up your Current Line Speed to match the BT IP Profile of 4.62.
This is still a bit slower than you should be getting, because whatever caused the issue in the first place has also cause the Target SNRM to go to 15dB by the looks of it and this will give you a slower speed. I'll post back with some more questions in a moment, but if you can answer the same questions as I put to mafracol46, that would be a good start. As far as filters go they should look like this
Edit: pages on this forum can be slow loading anyway Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Supertrooper,
when you open the ADSL Board page, on the same line as it shows the  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 881  at the top (2 on in red), towards the right you should see a button <New Topic>
mummra
Dabbler

Thanks so much for your help...Here are the results
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.25 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgot to mention....BT have been digging up the roads near me all week!
Anotherone
Champion

Oh, yes that will be highly relevant, they've obviously disturbed your connection and fouled it up. With the target SNRM at 15dB and it also seems you have a stuck BT IP Profile - 0.14 is not right  Roll_eyes
Get on the Web chat and explain what's happened - mentioning the BT works, and you'd like your line resetting - it's called an SNR Reset.
Post back here and tell us how you get on (whatever they say).