Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband

ARLH7
Dabbler

Very slow broadband

Hi All
For about 2 weeks now my internet has slowed down to a crawling speed. I thought it may have been due to the nation wide work that has been carried out in the UK. However after looking on the service checked for plusnet everything is supposed to be fixed.
I have attached scr shots of my speed that I am getting and what I should be getting. My telephone seems ok I cannot hear any noise on the line.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
27 REPLIES 27
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Very slow broadband

Hi ARLH7,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Were all of the stats acquired at the same time?
Were the speed tests performed over WiFi or a wired (Ethernet) connection to the router with WiFi turned off?  Just because a PC which other wise uses WiFi, just plugging in an Ethernet cable will not assure that the cable will be user for internet connectivity.
There is a vital piece of information missing here - the PlusNet current speed, which they have sought to hide.  Use the link below to find it.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?  Are there any extensions?  If yes how are they wired?
The stats that you have provided are not ideal.  The synch speed is below that which might be expected for your line's length / attenuation.  The BT Profile does not align to the synch speed (hence the question about concurrency of the stats).  The reported synch data speed is way below what it ought to be.  This can be influenced by WiFi connectivity issues, other things running on the PC, including AV software and the effects of viruses.
You say that the phone line is quiet.  Does your router report error counts?
Do you have another router to try?  Have you changed the filter?
I would consider raising a BB fault report using the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ARLH7
Dabbler

Hi Townman,
The speedtest4 picture was uploaded a little bit later on as I had to re find the url link to run the test.
The test were performed using the Ethernet cable and I have the wifi turnned off. The router is plugged into a extension socket which a BT telephone engineer had installed on the skirting board and that goes to a master socket it is not very far the distance around 7 meters long. In regards to having any back ground stuff going on downloading I don't have any of that going on. With the phone line I cannot hear any static (noise) on the line. The first screen shots has a error packets status as 0. I'm not sure if that is the same thing you are asking for.
I don't have another router available to try at present and I have not changed the micro filter for a different one. 
Raising a BB fault sound like the way to go. Thanks for your help.
I have attached new pictures.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
I have reviewed my pervious comment and realised that I looked at the MAX synch speed, not the current synch speed.  The profile figures are therefore correct!  Embarrassed
One thing I would suggest checking is the wiring on the back of the removable faceplate on the master socket.  How many wires are attached to it?  There should only be two - blue+white and white+blue on terminals 2 & 5.  If anything is attached to terminal 3, it may be removed.  This should be done at both ends.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ARLH7
Dabbler

Hi Towman,
I had a look and have attached the pictures, the wire colours are different but they are crimped in the 2 and 5 parts. It is really strange the broadband has slow downed, as before I would get around 1.4mb a second download speed. At the moment I am struggling just to watch a low defeintion video on youtube or even load a up a single webpage. The other thing is I live in Bexhill-on-Sea and I am fairly close to the exchange. Do you think I should report a broadband fault and get a BT to check the line ? Many thanks. 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh dear!
So glad you sent photos - thank you.  The wiring is not twisted pair cable, which is not ideal for xDSL.  The extension socket though is not an extension socket - it is a MASTER socket - far from ideal.  Is there any possibility that you can get the router direct into the test socket behind the removed lower face plate please?
I would get a bb fault raised, which will entail a line check.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

So, after establishing the problem is probably with the extension wiring, what's the purpose of raising a broadband fault? Just because the extension wiring was done by a BT engineer, doesn't mean a subsequent BT engineer visit isn't going to be chargeable.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Whilst the internal wiring is not ideal, it certainly is not the cause of the change in the last two weeks.  The internal wiring will inhibit attaining the very best out of the line.  You are correct though that (as part of the process of raising a fault report which will test the line) the router should be connected to the test socket to eliminate the unhelpful wiring.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The internal wiring could be the problem if it's now picking up interference, which the proper standard of wiring wouldn't.
Using Firefox, you can see the error counts if you open Tools -> Web Developer -> Network while you're looking at the router status page. Then select one of the items on the left hand side like in the attached screenshot, and select Response on the right hand side.
ARLH7
Dabbler

Hi Townman,
I tested the router in the test socket. I could only use my phone to run the speed test and the results were the same as before being slow. I have taken other pictures of the wiring set-up through out the property and tracing the line from my flat, it has been done to a bad standard as you will see from the pictures. The line goes through a electrician cupboard and out through the door and up the wall. I do find it hard to understand why the change of speed in the last to weeks would happen as it was fine before. I did raise a broadband fault with the link you provided. I will have to wait and see what the results are. 
The one thing I am concerned about is being charged by a BT engineer saying it is my fault some how.
Many thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

when in the test socket you need to report the stats as speed tests won't change
ARLH7
Dabbler

Hi Oldjin,
I did the test again and have attached a picture of the stats. Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Nothing much wrong there except it appears that you are on ADSL1 with a capped upstream
What is the Plusnet Current Line Speed - see my sig for a link
ARLH7
Dabbler

Its say 12.6mb current line speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case I have no idea what is causing the low speed tests