Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband speeds

FIXED
iwantbroadband
Hooked

Very slow broadband speeds

This is my first post in the community so apologise if its in the wrong place.

I moved home to be told that fibre optic wasn't available in the area. The staff member went on to say that there is an offer for 'alternate' fibre optic available to everyone but new customers. He advised me to wait a month and then come to the forum where I could request this new fibre, he even gave me the quote for my new monthly payment once I had signed up.

After a month I called Plusnet, was passed from department to department only to find that no one knew what I was talking about. After research I assume that the call taker was in fact talking about the trial that Plusnet offered.

During the call, nowhere was this communicated and now I'm stuck with a broadband download speed of between 1-4 mb and an upload speed of under 2mb, sometimes making even watching films unbearable online. My questions are, can my speed be improved and why would someone sell me the dream of fibre broadband when this is not possible where I live?

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Very slow broadband speeds

@iwantbroadband

Welcome to the forums.

I think the Customer Support staff may have been talking about the FTTP trial. Below is the information needed to check if your property is suitable.

First you must be an existing Plusnet broadband customer

Then, check with BT if you are able to get FTTP using the BT Broadband checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome?
The results will need to look like this

fttpcapture.PNG
If the first line of the "Featured Products" says "WBC FTTP" then you can apply for the trial at http://trials.plus.net/

Another way is to go to the BT Retail website and see if you can buy Infinity 4 from them (FTTP at 330Mbps download). If you can then you can also apply to join the Plusnet trial or use BT or even Zen (the latter 2 offer FTTP as a product not just a trial)

Finally Plusnet only offer 2 speeds for FTTP, 40Mbps down/2Mbps up or 80Mbps down/20Mbps up. Use BT if you want faster.

If coming across from BT, here is a thread which may answer your queries

BT to Plusnet FTTP Migration Thread

There is a complete list of all FTTP providers at

Openreach Ultrafast fibre suppliers

Finally VirginMedia are installing some 2 million FTTTP connections via their Project Lightening before 2019 so it might be a consideration if they are planning to install in your area.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
iwantbroadband
Hooked

Weirdly, the options you described are not available to my property, but the member of staff I spoke to said they were which is quite annoying.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Could you post the output from the DSL Checker (removing your phone number) if you require more help?

Also you could try this to see what is planned for your property https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx (always use your phone number for true results, never postcode)

iwantbroadband
Hooked

on second inspection, it appears I am wrong and it is available at my address, will proceed

iwantbroadband
Hooked

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 11.27.34.png

SpendLessTime
Hero

Fix

@iwantbroadband

The VDSL means FTTC  which is the product called Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra  (given you can get upto 80Mbps) so there is no reason why you cannot order as it is clearly marked as available.

FTTP is not available as the "on demand" version is not a Plusnet product.

iwantbroadband
Hooked

ordered! thanks for the assistance.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@iwantbroadband I hope you got the new customer pricing for the FTTC as there was no reason for PlusNet saying you couldn't get it as a new customer.