Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband speeds

FIXED
BiAndSpy
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Very slow broadband speeds

I have very slow broadband ......again it is below 1Mbps, 0.85 on the BT wholesale performance test. This is now getting to be quite consistent (I.e every time I use the internet which is a few hours a day). It used to be about this speed on weekdays between 8:20 and about 11:00 but now its almost every time I use the internet. This has been reported to Plusnet a few times over Christmas. I have had BT Openreach out recently who changed the master socket plus varies tweeks from Plusnet like line management etc but that only seems to work for a day or two. Please can some one explain why this is happening so much? Will I get a refund?

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Very slow broadband speeds

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had.

I can see you've reported a fault to our Faults team.

They'll get that picked up as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BiAndSpy
Grafter

I have used the Plusnet Chat with an agent then another agent then another agent (total of 2 hours and seven minutes) then a phone conversation with another agent and it looked like I was finally getting somewhere....... but another agent said he would phone back and for what ever reason has not. I am desperate to sort this out and it is not helping having to speak to someone new each time and have to explain all the issues each time. So please could someone either ask another agent to call or someone else. Thank you

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA names removed (to an area staff can view) as per Forum rules.

Poster's note..... apologies and names completely removed, will not do again, ever!!

BiAndSpy
Grafter

New router fitted....and instantly better speeds at the router (7 Mbps) and 6 at computer Smiley

A few days later router speeds drop to 3 Mbps Sad 

BiAndSpy
Grafter

Fix

A router reset and I have started to get reasonable speed

teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

ByAndSpy your case sound very familiar. Mine eventually settled , but with at least one drop out every day.

Last week things got so bad (constant drop outs, every few minutes and speeds too slow to even load the test page) so I raised a ticket. They said they could see a problem ,did tests and messaged me to say no drops for 14 hours, so things seem sorted (they don't appear to have found a cause).

yesterday and toady, I've just dipped in and out so noticed no problem, but tonight we are back to virtually no speed (0.52 and 2.12 up, down 0.12), so things aren't sorted.

I've been with PlusNet since October and have never had such a bad service elsewhere, so can't wait to return to Sky, where I got at least one more mbps and very, very rare drops.

BiAndSpy
Grafter

I am still getting drops....a couple some days then a few days with reasonable speeds. I have heard good reports about Sky so I think I will be giving them a try myself but will wait for the proposed fibre upgrade in Summer first.

teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sky was excellent and the only outs were once a year , in the autumn. A friend , living miles away, lost her contact at the same time so we suspect it was due an annual service to the system.

Sky gave me regular 5 to 6.4 over wifi, but the best from Plusnet was an amazing 5.6 for a few minutes on one occasion, a few weeks ago. It's rarely above 5 and even 4 something isn't  very common. It can't be due to the number of clients, as I once got 2 and a bit at 2.30 in a morning.

I only left Sky because they wouldn't do me a good deal. They only offered free broadband, whereas I'd had free broadband and half price line, until then and £9.99 line with free broadband the year before. Actually, in view of the way all providers used the compulsory combination price to increase the total price, it wasn't such a bad deal, but PlusNet was cheaper....though it's a very inferior product and Sky don't have awful 'music' and dreadful waiting times. You even get to speak to a proper tech, rather than a CS person with a list to check, if you have a problem (CS pass you on to a tech).