cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband speed

millietagged
Hooked

Very slow broadband speed

My broadband download speed has dropped dramatically. I usually get around 14.2mbps but am now down to just over 1mbps. I have run the BTW Speedchecker a few times just in case it was a blip.

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Very slow broadband speed

Hi,

Basic BT speed tests in isolation are not overly informative.  Have you looked over the speed issues thread?  See link below.  Can we please cover off the basics...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spartagates

Try changing your DNS server to googles, I have had a very sluggish line the last few days and doing this helped greatly. Worth a shot Wink

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Changing DNS settings is not going to help with slow speed tests.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

millietagged
Hooked

There was nothing wrong with the landline it was working perfectly. The speed increased later but I have noticed its down to 9.43mbps (download) and 1.04mbps (upload) (upload was always below 1mbps - so 1.04 is good.

millietagged
Hooked

Its not fixed - clicked on the link by mistake.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Accidental fix removed.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine