cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very "bitty" performance

Snarf
Grafter

Very "bitty" performance

So, it appears that my broadband is a bit all over the place, when it's performing well I get 8Mb/s, however whether it's contention or otherwise, more often in the evenings, but even this morning I'm having trouble even streaming radio without it dropping out every minute or so.

When it's working well I can happily watch NowTV whilst using my phone/laptop and the router definitely isn't dropping so I have no idea where the problem is. Any ideas?

Also, what's up with customer service. I was a PN customer from over 10 years ago who recently returned (as I was forced into a TalkTalk contract that my gf was on!) and it seems impossible to get through on the phone. Used to be no more than a 5-10 min wait at most and now it's a minimum of 45 mins? Is there a best time to call?
9 REPLIES 9
Arcanum
Grafter

Re: Very "bitty" performance

Hi.  Can you check if you're getting packet loss?  I and a number of others are having this issue.

I agree with the customer service.  I've been with them for a long time (was with Metronet) and the service has declined significantly.

Snarf
Grafter

Currently no packet loss, but obviously at the moment my connection has decided to behave 🙄 I'll continue to monitor and report any issues.
Arcanum
Grafter

ok good luck

Snarf
Grafter

Yup - packet loss. It seems to come and go but is enough to cause connection issues.
Arcanum
Grafter

Did you get a ticket raised? 

Snarf
Grafter

Nope I'll try and get one raised tomorrow as I've been busy today. I guess I'll have to do it online as I don't trust getting through on the phone!
Snarf
Grafter

At the third attempt I managed to get the ticket raised as the broadband troubleshooter kept giving me an error. Can I double heck that others have just been getting occasional bouts of packet loss?

I've had it a few times this morning, the connection doesn't physically drop as far as I can tell but the packet loss is enough to interrupt the connection temporarily.
Arcanum
Grafter

It's a lot better for me - just monitoring now and I've had one  lot in the last 10 mins.  Unfortuately the program I'm using to monitor has finished it's free trial, so can't go back to see where it lost the connection. 

Snarf
Grafter

Just experienced more issues so ran a ping test ~10% packet loss over 200 packet sets sent. So problem still intermittent but still there. Interestingly the ticket acknowledges this, it shows 8 drops in week with the drops being early in the morning (mostly between 5 and 8am) or late at night around 11pm. The log I've posted was taken about 5 mins ago so ties in with the late night drops.

So why is this? Why is it consistently early morning or late evening? The ticket only shows the drops but doesn't show the consistent issues with packet loss which obviously cause a disruption in the connection.

I'm not happy to close the ticket yet just because the timings of the drops are so similar so indicate there is an issue around those times.