cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor speed

rogerwilson
Dabbler

Very poor speed

I'm on some form of ADSL (up to 16 Mb I think) and the speed at the moment is pathetic. I'm struggling to get 3 Mb download. Is anyone else on ADSL having very poor performance today?
Thanks,
Rog.
10 REPLIES 10
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Very poor speed

Hi there,
Looks like something happened on the 2nd September that reduced your sync rate by more than two thirds! There's nothing we can do here that would alter your sync rate, so it's either something that's been added to your internal network (new phone with no filter? sky box or similar?) or something going on outside.
I'd recommend raising this to us as a fault at http://faults.plus.net - when you're testing the router plugged directly into the test socket though please bear in mind the speed won't uplift straight away but the router's sync rate will do, so if that's back to around 15000 on the connection status page on the router then the fault is almost certainly on your internal network somewhere.
Hope that helps.
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Matt,
Nothing has changed in the house. The only thing that happened on 2/9/13 was that I turned the router back on after being away for 4 days !

Rog.
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Just changed routers (now a TG585 v8) and the connection speed is back up. Not sure what's happened there as I very much doubt the old router is faulty. Still I can stick with the 585 now.
The data rate is still low but hopefully that'll increase once the DLM detects the change - is that right?
Thanks.
Rog.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi rogerwilson,
The profile that we set on our internal system should be due to update very shortly which should improve the speeds you are seeing. As your connection rate was low, your speed profile will drop too. Now they have improved, the profile should align itself automatically. If you can't see any changes by tomorrow morning, I'll take a look at things for you.
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Hello Chris,
According to Speedtest, I'm still stuck at 3Mb / 1Mb speeds so no change this morning. Any chance something could be done to improve on this please?
Thanks,
Rog.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say for your current line speed? It should be 88.2% of your sync rate (rounded down to nearest 100)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Hi,
The results are:
Phone exchange:BURLEY IN WHARFDALE
Estimated line speed:8Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-09-09 22:43:04
Current line speed: 3.4 Mb
The router shows a connection speed of 18Mbps / 1.2Mbps (Down / Up).
Rog.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just updated the speed profile for you.
If you could just log into your router, hit the 'Disconnect' button, wait 15 seconds and hit 'Connect', the PPP session drop should kick in the profile update I've just changed.
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Chris,
Just done the necessary and Speedtest now reports 14.9 Mbps / 1.0 Mbps (Down / Up).
Nice job. Thanks for your help.
Rog.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem Smiley
If there's anything else we can do to help, please do let us know.