Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very noticable speed drop after PLUSNET's mistake

FIXED
WSMaky
Dabbler

Very noticable speed drop after PLUSNET's mistake

On Tuesday 15th of January my boradband connection was cut around 11am plus, I rang the helpdesk and they asked if I have a fibre account or have applied for one, I said I don't know what type of connection but told them I didn't apply for anything, I described the line was changed a few years ago where now I have to plug in a BT Openreach box to the socket and plug my router to the BT Openreach box. 

They said my line was fine but it is reflecting as a fibre connection, so someone probably switched by mistake when they try to upgrade someone in the area. So the helpdesk ordered a new fibre router in the post and told me if the line was not switched back before the router arrives, then I would have to plug in the new fibre router for me to have internet. The line was switched back on the same evening of the 15th, I received the new router on the weekend (19th of Jan) and didn't do anything with it.

However, on the afternoon of the 22nd my line went off again, I suspect they may have committed the same mistake and plug the new fibre router in and the line worked again. Unfortunately, we started noticing a significant drop in our line speed, first it was on the video streaming, we get a lot of stop start like it wasn't streaming fast enough. Pages are also taking longer to load, I work from home and all the meetings platform I joined is complaining that I got a poor connection (Skype, Zoom etc.)

Can someone explain what is going on here? Why does my line got switched in the first place causing my old router connection to stop working, and then fix it, only to switch it again so I have to use the new router and suffer from a slower connection. Speed test throughout the day has clocked at 1.3 Mbps download max and I just tested tonight and it is between 0.9 to 1.2 Mbps download. This is really frustrating and is having a real impact on my work. Been a loyal customer for years and now I am seriously contemplating on switching.

22 REPLIES 22
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Very noticable speed drop after PLUSNET's mistake

Hi @WSMaky,

Could you confirm what speeds you were achieving prior to this?

Testing the connection isn't actually flagging up any issues and the speeds you've mentioned appear to be in line with ADSL speed estimates for your connection, however this would have been a noticeable drop from fibre if you were previously provisioned incorrectly on a fibre connection.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 42.2 28.7 7.6 5.2 25 Available -- --  

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- --  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
WSMaky
Dabbler

Hi HarryB,

Many thanks for getting back to me, I managed to contact the helpdesk as the line dropped again today (4th time since 22nd). 

I honestly do not know what speed the line was before all the switches, all I can let you know is the degradation in experience, multiple stop start when we stream videos, constant voice issue when I am on VoIP conference call (Skype/Zoom/WebEx), and line dropping out of the blue.

The helpdesk advised that there is a settling down period of 10 days after such a switch and asked me to report back any issue if I don't see any improvement after 10 days.

I will keep an eye out and will test the speed intermittently, and let you guys know what the speed is.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If you're getting speeds of 1.3Mbps, I wouldn't necessarily expect quicker speeds (Not by a huge amount any way).

Before you called us and we sent a fibre router out to you, were you connected up using a separate Openreach Modem and Plusnet Router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
WSMaky
Dabbler

In answer to your question. Yes, before all these happened I had an openreach box and a separate router connected to it, now I have one router connected directly to the socket.

As for the speed, I am not sure what number I should hit but I was told it is anything up to 20Mbps according to the line, and although I am within the contractual performance limit, it is the overall experience that is affecting me. If I was at 1.3 before and everything worked as it should then I am happy with 1.3, but unfortunately the degradation is very noticeable. 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Based off what you've said, you were previously connected on fibre using a fibre modem and router and will have been getting 28-42Mbps (Potentially capped down to around 21Mbps by the account) on the fibre connection.

As this has since been changed to ADSL to correct the service that should have been provided, the speeds have dropped down in line with the ADSL estimates.

When looking for orders on your line, I'm unable to find an order moving you from ADSL to Fibre, which suggests it may have been this way for some time, whereas there is an order in line with the recent contact you have mentioned modifying the connection from Fibre down to ADSL as you've advised.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
WSMaky
Dabbler

Just did a test with the BT wholesale speed test site.

The first test gave a 0 for the download speed and then I selected the option to do further testing and it shows 0.93 Mbps in the best effort test. 

It also indicated there is an error while trying to retrieve additional details.

This is all in line with what the help desk told me, that I will be expected to see some errors during this 10 days period.

Test 1.JPGTest2.JPG

WSMaky
Dabbler

Hi,

Everything was driven by Plusnet I'm afraid, however, the OpenReach box was sent to me few years back and I was told they are upgrading our area, I remember distinctly because my service was switched off because someone came to my house and changed the line outside or something before they made the changes at the exchange and I was without connection for few days. Does your record show that?

According to my discussion with your helpdesk, it was switched from ADSL to fibre by mistake on the 15th, then they can't really explained what happened on the 22nd but said that if I wish I could switch back to my old router (Openreach + router) and it should still work. 

Unless what you are saying is that I have always had a fibre connection (based on me having an OpenReach+Router setup) but I only have an ADSL order, then I would like an explanation why went through all the change few years ago to upgrade me to a fibre connection when I haven't asked for anything to be switched?!

Also, I reject the notion that I have advised for it to be changed, I advised nothing and things were changed, I only call in to report the internet has stopped working, whatever Plusnet chose to interpret that and change whatever it is wasn't because I requested it. I was up front and honest about what I know and how I was connected (please read my first post).

Appreciate you are trying to help but the post read like Plusnet is downgrading my service and now justifying that downgrade was because I have asked for it. 

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @WSMaky,

Your line was incorrectly being provided on fibre broadband while the account product has always been ADSL. I don't believe that @HarryB is advising you requested a change to ADSL but more towards an agent noticed you was provided the incorrect service and changed it to match the service that you signed up to.(as you advised us in your initial post.)

I'm afraid looking back through your account, the only historical data we can see is a DLM report which changed the profile to match the sync rate of fibre. As this change was some years ago, we can't find an order or ticket which explains why the circuit changed to fibre initially but as you confirmed an engineer made changes externally it was likely around this time.

Looking at the performance test you have run, 0.00 is a reporting issue. I would recommend running a performance test here to cross reference it with the BT wholesale speed test.

If ADSL speeds are insufficient, feel free to call us on 0800 013 2632 to discuss upgrading to fibre broadband and we can discuss what deals are available to you.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
WSMaky
Dabbler

Thanks Lewis for the explanation.

So something happened a few years back and no one could explain why my synch rate was changed to match the fibre connection, but they did give me the appropriate equipment to connect to a fibre connection anyway, which meant they knew what they were doing. As I told you, it was Plusnet decision to do that, and told me about the upgrade, hence I agreed with the change, expectation was not set by myself but Plusnet.

To now come and said someone noticed a mistake made by Plusnet after so many years and switched it back is quite honestly unacceptable, is there anyway I could escalate this?

Please do not take this as an attack to the support team, it is not your fault but you must appreciate the fact that this is a very negative experience for me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @WSMaky

While we can't definitively explain why you were moved on to a fibre connection due to how long ago it was our records don't go back that far, my educated guess would be that you upgraded to fibre many years ago, but the product/contract change never fully completed on your account, leaving you on a standard broadband account type.

We then noticed this when you called in and we fixed the issue with what information we had in front of us, which resulted in an adviser modifying your line to match your account type of standard broadband, as opposed to the other way round of changing your account type to fibre as we can't see the agreed fibre cost due to how long ago it was.

I appreciate that this experience hasn't been a good one for you as your speeds have effectively plummeted, and while I understand you're wanting to escalate this, I'm afraid that we can't continue to provide you with a fibre service on an account setup for standard broadband.

Based on what you've said and the issues you're experiencing with the slow speeds of ADSL down your line, I think that you'll benefit being back on a fibre connection though you'd need the appropriate account type.

If you call our customer options team on the number my colleague provided above (0800 013 2632), we'll be happy to upgrade your account and line back to fibre. Alternatively we'd be happy to arrange a call back from that team if you prefer?

Apologies for the inconvenience we've caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WSMaky
Dabbler

Thank you all for the support. I will contact the contract team, I do hope I won't have to leave Plusnet because of a contract screw up as the support team has been very good so thank you all for your time, very much appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem and sorry again for the experience you've had.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@WSMaky

Has it occurred to you that for years you appear to have have enjoyed fibre speeds and only paid the ADSL price? OK this has now been rumbled and you have been put on the correct product but why the need to complain about previously having the better service  for free? My guess is that as the Openreach modems were originally installed by the BT engineers Plusnet might not have been aware that you had been accidentally put on a fibre service.

If you are not currently on a contract it is worth checking the price of competitors similar products then when you ring customer services quote the competitors price and ask them to match it. You might find that you come out on top.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WSMaky
Dabbler

@Baldrick1

To be honest, it happened in 2015, so I don't remember exactly what transpired, all I remember was that I have been upgraded, consciously by Plusnet. What was that motivation for upgrade I don't remember, it could be from a sales call that I decide to go with Fibre, quite honestly I don't remember as it was 4 years ago. All I remember was that there were actions to change my line to fibre and have fibre equipment delivered to me. I even have email communication with Plusnet about that change about the Engineer visit.

On that count, has it occurred to you that Plusnet have perhaps forgot to update their account details after upgrading me and now is downgrading me? Someone has to deliberately set something on their side to dispatch engineer and send those equipment. I was with Plusnet since 2013, around 2 years later I have this new fibre set up, I may have upgraded after my original contract expired.