Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high noise margin and low speed!

Rolo0207
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Very high noise margin and low speed!

My new connection is currently connected at 1mb and painfully slow. The noise margin is 36!! The router has the max connection speed at ove 11mb. I always thought that bt lines started around noise margin of 6 and then fluctuated to find their stable point. Anyone have any ideas why this has started so slow? Having come from a fibre area this is going to take some getting used to. Hopefully someone can suggest something better than just waiting to see whether it improves. I have tried a quiet line test and seems good. The attenuation is 5.5db. From my basic knowledge I think 8mb should be easily achievable. Thanks in advance, rob
7 REPLIES 7
Rolo0207
Dabbler

Re: Very high noise margin and low speed!

Still no change whatsoever in speed. So much for "continually adjusting exchange". After speaking to plusnet tech support not really any progress. They won't look into anything during first 10days! Strangely they did not even ask any technical questions regarding attenuation or noise margin. Another few days of slow internet before I can phone them back! Anyone know how often the line sync speed should update to optimise the noise margin?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What are your full ADSL stats?

Without being able to see them, I'm guessing that you've been accidentally provisioned on a fixed rate 1Mb service, and your line speed will not change until Plusnet fix that.

Rolo0207
Dabbler

What other stats would I need to confirm this? That does sound exactly what has happened, however the technical support person should have realised this?? Data rate is 1152, attenuation 5db, noise margin still up at 36. The support people keep telling me it will be learning the line, however I suspect it is set at a fixed rate! Any idea how I can bypass the 1st line tech support and get hold of someone who can actually sort this? Thanks for your help!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Mostly the upstream speed, 288k upstream is associated with the fixed rate 1Mb service, as is the 1152k downstream speed.

You can report a fault online at https://faults.plus.net although it may take a few working days for someone in the faults team to look at it. Usually it doesn't take too long for a Plusnet staff member to spot a forum thread.

Rolo0207
Dabbler

Spot on 288 upstream speed! I will try and get this logged on the faults system, however the telephone support were shocking!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They have not provided you with the service you've contracted for - make sure they give you a full refund up to the time they provision your line correctly!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry for the problems with the order. I can see that this should be corrected now and I've replied to the open support ticket on your account.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.