cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very happy with Fibre extra speed HOWEVER.......

jaseace1978
Grafter

Very happy with Fibre extra speed HOWEVER.......

As the subject goes I am very happy with my Fibre extra speed however this has come at a price to me. There are lots of complaints about the Technicolour router and I have voiced my own opinion on that too. When I signed up for Fibre extra from Fibre Value I was getting pretty much the same speeds (around 20mb download and 10mb upload) and often lower when using that router and no phone call to PN could resolve it and the only thing I was told was that with wireless that is going to impact on your speeds. That for me wasn't good enough as I'd signed up for faster speeds and I was paying more to get them. At the time I was using the Netgear N150 WI-FI adapter. I initially changed router to the Netgear N150 which I had been using on Fibre Value and my speeds did increase to around 30mb download but again this fluctuated but it was rarely over that.
In the end after much research I took a gamble and bought the Netgear N600 WI-FI adapter and Netgear WDNR3700 router and with that I'm now getting 63mbps download and 16mbps upload and this is consistent so before anyone tells you that its because you are using WI-FI that you won't get anywhere near your line speed I have proven that it isn't the case. The Technicolour router is very poor for WI-FI although it may well be suitable for a lot of people and that's fine but for me it was too unreliable and slow. My estimated line speed is 64MB and my current line speed is 67.2mb so I 'm very close to those figures.
The downside to all of this is if you want to get close to your line speed, the supplied equipment probably won't do and you will have to end up purchasing a new router and WI-FI adapter but that is a decision for the individual.
So there is some food for thought and currently I'm a satisfied PN customer. I hope this continues.
The bottom line is don't necessarily accept that slow line speeds are down to you connecting via WI-FI.
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Very happy with Fibre extra speed HOWEVER.......

Thanks for the post,
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your router from us. It seems to me appropriate that we might have mentioned that your wifi adapter could have been a potential cause of the issue but we shouldn't have singled that out and I'm sorry if you feel that we have.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you reread it Adam you will see the dongle wasn't the cause of the issue (not wholy anyway)
Quote from: jaseace1978
At the time I was using the Netgear N150 WI-FI adapter. I initially changed router to the Netgear N150 which I had been using on Fibre Value and my speeds did increase to around 30mb download but again this fluctuated but it was rarely over that.

SO different router gives better wifi who would have thought  Tongue
So they noticed speeds increase from 20Mb to 30Mb using the SAME DONGLE but different router. I believe they now have a 300Mb dongle so maybe on the 5GHz wifi as well.
jaseace1978
Grafter

yes that is correct. iI am using the 5ghz for the connection to my pc and 2.4ghz to connect to wifi via my mobile phone and as hairy biker rightly points out there was never any issue with the net gear n150 adapter,  for Mr it was  an issue with the technicolour router but as iI say now I'm more than happy with my speeds but iI do think the limitations of the technicolour should be made transparent to customers connecting via wifi.
Biomech
Dabbler

Same here.
My line is 40 meg
Technicolor router gave me 6-20meg fluctuating with 10% per meter wireless loss.
Just installed a TP Link WDR4300 and I'm getting 37meg 2 rooms away over wireless.