Very Low Download Speed

helenkingsbury

Very Low Download Speed

Required info:
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 6.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 42.5 dB / 21.9 dB
Downstream: 2,469 Kbps
Upstream: 1,075 Kbps
BT Wholesale speed test results attached.
Current line speed:
0.4 Mb

I first noticed a huge drop in download speed around two weeks ago. Instead of downloading at the usual already slow speeds of 150-200 kB/s, I was downloading at around 70. It was still actually usable so I didn't really care. These past few days though have been an absolute pain downloading at 20-30 kB/s. Although providing nostalgia of the 1990's, it hasn't resulted in me being very productive and having to wait 10 minutes to watch a 3 minute Youtube video at 144p or having to wait 2 minutes to watch a picture load line by line gets tiring.
My ip profile will randomly change between 2-2.5 Mbps and something ridiculous like 0.2 Mbps. When the ip profile gets to such a microscopic number, affecting my download speed even more, I will power cycle the router and it will greatly increase the ip profile and marginally improve my download speeds. Very rarely has it ever actually disconnected by itself.
The strangest part, in my opinion, is that this has happened in exactly the same way and at exactly the same time for the past few years, eventually giving me usable speeds around the start of January. No telephone person or community rep has ever solved it.
Any advice would be great.
1 REPLY 1
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Very Low Download Speed

Hi there.
I've run a quick few checks and they aren't showing any major faults. However I would expect your speeds to be better based on your line attenuation.
To look into this further I'd recommend running through our faults troubleshooter by clicking the link below.
https://faults.plus.net
If you have any further issues feel free to let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team