cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various questions. (Multiple rooms/cab location/fibre availability)

PCliff
Dabbler

Various questions. (Multiple rooms/cab location/fibre availability)

Hey all,
I just have a few questions to see if anyone is able to answer.
I am in a new build house in Salford. I've signed up for normal broadband with plusnet (waiting a week
for the activation) because I was told I can't get fibre by bt(on phone), plusnet, etc
I'm used to Virgin which I had in my last house barely half a mile away, so this is a bit of a bummer as they can't
provide me with their service. Had brilliant service and amazing line/speed. I'm not looking forward to the massive
drop in line speed and stability with Adsl.
However, when I moved in and they were putting the phone lines to the properties I spoke to the bt open reach
engineer who was installing them and he said the houses are all fed from the cabinet at the bottom of the street...
which has fibre.
Now, there are 3 cabinets. One is a fibre cabinet (tall/thinner)with SUPERFAST FIBRE OPTIC IS HERE posters on it
and two are normal old ones.
Everyone I ring is saying there's no fibre in the area yet I've been told by an engineer it is. How can this
be?
Is there a way I can check exactly which cab serves me? On OR checker my phone number is "UR"..
As far as I can tell we are served from the same exchange as my old house.
And a second question - I have two phone sockets in the house. One downstairs and one upstairs.
When I asked on the phone when ordering if they can install two points for me to access by computers (with WIRES) he said yes.
When the engineer came he stuck a plug in the socket said its all fine. I asked about being able to access broadband from the upstairs
room by wire from the computer and he said yes if you have a phone socket up there. Which I do.
However... How do I connect to a phone socket with no router there? It isn't ethernet and surely if there was such a thing as Ethernet
to phone socket adapter it wouldn't do anything anyway because it isn't going through the router??
I paid, what, £75 "installation" fee and there was no installation he just checked the line. Bit of a P take, no?
So how would I connect my computer up stairs to the Internet.. Not involving trailing a long Ethernet cable down the stairs to the living
room router? The router can't be moved upstairs because we have things in the living room needing to be plugged in too.
Also is there any other ways on finding out exactly what is happening with fibre In my area and how long until it is sorted?
Apologies for the state of the post.. I'm using a phone, as I have no internet..
Thanks in advance for any help,
Clifford  Huh
P.s. The weather is so appalling. It is depressing.  Cry
P.p.s. I'm not having a go... Just venting. And at no one in particular.
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Various questions. (Multiple rooms/cab location/fibre availability)

Have you tried using the address checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address instead?
PCliff
Dabbler

Ahh, that one shows cab #36. Think that is the cabinet this side of road and isn't tall and thin. So why would
Engineer say it is fibre in this road. 😕
Oh I despair how can they do all new builds and NOT have fibre already. When a fibre cab is right there.
AndyH
Grafter

Is this Broughton in Manchester?
If so, most properties on that cabinet have been designated FTTP, but it's not part of the current BT commercial plans or BDUK phases.
PCliff
Dabbler

Yeah the other part of Broughton has it all in. A tiny bit of it.
So from that I guess no fibre then? Not for the foreseeable future?
AndyH
Grafter

It depends really. It might be worth speaking to the superfast team at your local council as they could be looking to upgrade your area.
Is this a new area/development with many new houses?
PCliff
Dabbler

Yeah fairly large development. They're kind of re-doing Broughton. Still building houses on the part I'm
on.
Where I was before (which had the FTTP) is also part of it, but that was finished, ohh I'd say about 2 years ago.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Regarding your second question
Quote from: Clifford
And a second question - I have two phone sockets in the house. One downstairs and one upstairs.
When I asked on the phone when ordering if they can install two points for me to access by computers (with WIRES) he said yes.
When the engineer came he stuck a plug in the socket said its all fine. I asked about being able to access broadband from the upstairs
room by wire from the computer and he said yes if you have a phone socket up there. Which I do.

Misinformation or a misunderstanding*.  You need an ethernet cable run in in order to make use of your connection upstairs.  BT do not provide this.  An alternative would be to use Powerline adapters.
*If you have (and I suspect you haven't) an unfiltered master socket ie you need microfilters on your phones, then BT were right in that you can get a wired connection upstairs by moving your router.  Downstairs would stop working then of course!
PCliff
Dabbler

Yes it is unfiltered (afaik?) - I use a microfilter to plug phone and Adsl cable from router into.
Well they don't know what they're talking about then. I said I wanted it wired upstairs with router down stairs and they said it is doable if the
phone socket is also upstairs.
Annoyed.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried speaking to the developer? Did they include anything about superfast broadband in their marketing material?