cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable speeds

Goreliscious
Dabbler

Variable speeds

Hello, I'm experiencing extremely variable download speeds and terrible upload speeds, so I'm looking for some advice as to whether there's anything I can do at my end before PlusNet sending out a BT Engineer to sort the problem.
I upgraded to 21CN no more than a couple weeks ago. My router that never missed a beat before soon started playing up, (it is ADSL2+), and my download speeds dropped drastically from around 6MB on my 8MB connection to around 1.5MB on my new 20MB connection! I raised a Fault Ticket with PlusNet and all their automatic and manual tests say they can't find a fault.
Since them running the test my download speed has vastly improved in the morning to around 14MB, but by the evening it's back down to around 1MB and the upload speed is never more then 0.5MB. I've updated the firmware on my router, I've restored my router to factory conditions, I've tried wireless and ethernet connections to stablise the speeds, plugged the router into the main phone socket and plugged directly into the test socket when you take the cover off....the only things I haven't yet tried are a new microfilter and different router.
Other than that, is there anything else I can be trying to fix the problem? I don't want the engineer called out unless I've tried absolutely everything cos they'll charge me £145 if they find the problem at my end!
Cheers