cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN

Robson
Dabbler

VPN

I've been connecting to my work's VPN (BT MobilExpress) without issues for 7 months.  I work from home 2 days a week.

Last week, whilst connected to the VPN my street had a power cut.  When the power returned and my router restarted I was unable to get a connection to the VPN with my work laptop.  I can connect my personal laptop to the web via this router with no problems.  I can connect my work laptop to my VPN from another address without any problem.  My work have confirmed there are no problems with my hardware or software.  Other colleagues have experienced similar issues as some ip addresses were used by BT internally and the BT GRAS VPN has an ACL that restricts these addresses.  Plusnet were able to resolve this issue for them.  Possibly my router has a new ip address with restricts the VPN?

12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Robson
Dabbler

Re: VPN

Thanks Gel,  what should I change them to?

I'm aware there are other VPN issues with plusnet (just do a search here) and that the techs have been able to put fixes in for others?

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

I use various VPN connections without issue and am not aware of any restrictions by PlusNet. Does your company have an IT dept. or did you set it up yourself? Do you use third party software? Fixed or dynamic IP at the work end?  Without proper information, it's very difficult to diagnose.

Live long and prosper!
Robson
Dabbler

Thanks Adrian.  The VPN is BT Mobile Express.  It is set up by my work, which is a large bank.  My IT department have said that some other employees had experiences issues when trying to log on with Plusnet. This may be causing my issues too.  I have been logging on without issues for 7 months but now am unable to.  I was told that some IP addresses are on a BT access control list and that Plusnet was able to modify the accounts of those who were affected to remedy the problem, so it's an issue that plusnet should be aware of.

adrianscotter
Pro

Interesting.  PlusNet is wholly owned by BT as far as I can see as to why there should be any issue.  I've not dealt with bank VPN's but I assume you have some sort of time based PIN device and theoretically you can use it anywhere in the world.  I'm not aware of PlusNet blocking any ports at all unlike some ISPs (such as Comcast in the US that block port 25 so you have to use SSL or TLS for your email client) so I would expect your VPN to 'just work', I think you may have to refer this to your IT Dept. It could be something as simple as an update has interferered with your VPN software settings.  I'm assuming you do use VPN software and not just the built in Windows VPN that has more holes than Swiss Cheese 🙄

Live long and prosper!
adrianscotter
Pro

DOH! Of course you're using VPN software: BT Mobile Express.  This is what happens when you can't sleep... 😵

Live long and prosper!
Robson
Dabbler

Since my VPN stopped working at home I have tried connecting from a friends house with no problems.  At home, it simply is unable to get a connection.  The issue is with my plusnet connection and not my IT department.

My IT department showed me correspondence that stated some IP addresses were previously used by BT internally and the BT VPN has an access control list that restricts these addresses.

And these chaps seem to have the same issue as me .. https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/VPN-fine-for-9-months-stopped-working-Jan/m-p/1301062/highli...

I raised a ticket last Wednesday (#144622332) and waiting for response.  I'm supposed to work from home two days a week but without being able to connect to work...

adrianscotter
Pro

Ah, understood. 👍

Live long and prosper!
Gel
Aspiring Champion

Robson
Dabbler

Hi Gel, as I I said before, what do I try changing them to?  Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about DNS settings and don't want to make the problem worse.  The VPN worked previously without any issues whatsoever.

The thread I linked to above showed the problem was resolved by plusnet making a fix to the account to ensure the allocated ip address was not on the access control list.

adrianscotter
Pro

To be honest, I would just let your router handle the DNS settings.  You could give yourself a whole shed load of problems if you don't understand DNS.  Unless you're working in a commercial environment (then let IT sort it for you), as a domestic user, I would always just set the router to be the DHCP and DNS server and let it do the lot.  If you're one of the paranoid and feel the need to 'hide' then by all means play with DNS but don't bleat when it all falls down around your ears if you don't understand what you're doing.  I've see over 65 end users sitting with thumbs inserted where they don't belong when a new IT bod that didn't fully understand DNS and changed a setting on the main server (PDC).  He didn't look pretty once the boss found out.

Live long and prosper!
Gel
Aspiring Champion

try google's; many have reported as solving slow loading web pages, but was just a thought for your issue;
They are:
If no improvement, easy to revert.
How?
1/ RIGHT Click your wireless icon in bottom right of screen.
2/Network settings
3/Click your network name
4/Click Properties
5/Double Click IPv4 line, properties
6/Use alternative DNS
7/OK, OK, Close