cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN problem

weirddave
Grafter

VPN problem

I'm trying to setup an incoming VPN connection with Windows Vista, but port 445 isn't being seen externally (grc.com, sheildsup).
I've set my router to forward 445 UDP/TCP to my PC.
To check the forwarding was working, I also temporarily opened port 1, which is being seen externally.
Plusnet firewall setting is off.
Vista firewall is off.
Any ideas?
Dave
3 REPLIES 3
prichardson
Grafter

Re: VPN problem

A quick confirmation check of your account shows no reason why.
Can you advise what type of VPN you are using, as there is normally more than just opening port 445 for most VPNs.
Often VPNs work on other protocols, which many routers don't deal with too good (even in DMZ) or more than just the one port.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've been trying to set up a VPN from a new laptop on our network.
I can VPN into the server from any other machine but this one.
I therefore have to conclude that it's something installed on the laptop that is blocking access.
Is there any other security package installed on your machine that could be blocking ports.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
weirddave
Grafter

I have no other secuirty firewall style products installed.
I changed my router to point to an XP machine with 445, 446 and 1, same problem, 445 isn't being seen externally, but 1 and 446 are.
After a bit more reading, it turns out I might need UDP 1723 open instead, I'll be trying that a bit later when my VPN guinea pig comes back online.
Dave