cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not connecting

aed

VPN not connecting

Since joining Plusnet I have been unable to connect to my work VPN. I was able to do so without any problems when I was with Sky but since joining Plusnet I get an error message 'Remote host not responding'.
I have spoken to IT at work and they have said it must be my broadband as it used to work fine. I spoke to Plusnet who were spectacularly unhelpful and I have looked at some of the threads on here but don't understand a lot of them.
I have changed my setting to the one that allows VPN access but still no joy.
I would be grateful if anyone could help, in a non-IT speak way. I don't understand the terminology of the more complex thread replies and am extremely frustrated with the whole situation.
Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: VPN not connecting

Are you using the PlusNet supplied TG582n router ?
If so you may need to connect via telnet to the router and execute the following commands
connection unbind application=IKE port=500-500
connection unbind application=ESP
saveall
see here for details http://npr.me.uk/vpnissue.html
Post back and let us know how that goes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aed

I really don't understand what you mean. What is telnet? The link you provided doesn't work, I get a 404 error and something about a limit reached?
I need it in real layman's terms please. Sorry!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What OS are you using?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: aed
The link you provided doesn't work, I get a 404 error and something about a limit reached?

Sorry that site is down at present.
Waiting for answers from the host provider.
Do you know how to backup the routers config settings -- you can do that from the routers user interface. If so you can then edit that text file to make the above changes suggested by MisterW.
Post back if you wish to try this.
aed

Hi everyone, I would like you thank you so much for the replies. I logged into Telnet as advised and have updated the router so I can now use my VPN.
Thanks again  Smiley
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Glad you're now up and running. Cheesy
And thanks for reporting back.