cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN issues

kakinj

VPN issues

Hi,

I am having issues with connecting to my company's VPN since we swapped supplier. I have a new laptop, (DELL) and the connection either fails, looks as though it is going to connect, connects and drops out after a while and worked almost all day yesterday.

My IT has looked at it an suggested several things but still no luck. So far I have:

Got a static IP

Changed the firewall to disabled

Got the new router

Moved the router to a better location

Cried a little

I have searched the community for similar posts but most of the terminology goes over my head.

Can someone assist please with very simple language or instructions? (imagine you are teaching your Gran!)

Many thanks in advance before I go doolally!

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: VPN issues

@kakinj  Welcome to the forum.

There will be many questions before we can help you.

The very first is whether it is anything to do with your VPN or whether this is a red herring. The fact that it has worked for several hours suggests that there may be something more fundamental going on.

First of all, is it just your work laptop that is dropping out or are you losing your broadband connection? Do you have any devices connected to the Internet using an Ethernet cable between say a computer and the Plusnet hub? If so are they dropping out? Are the lights changing on your hub when you have this problem?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kakinj

Re: VPN issues

Hi,

The internet and phone are OK and I have other devices using the connection. My last IT company VPN was fine but this company will be using a different one and they are not sure why it is happening as it is only poor little me!

I have just bought a lead and now connected to the hub directly with an Ethernet cable. This took a few goes to get the connection and VPN to, (I am assuming) talk to each other and it appeared to work when I was connected to both the WiFi and the direct link, starting the VPN and then disconnecting from the WiFi.

I am not confident that it will always work but looking for possible other avenues to look at it if continues to fail. 

I did get a message when it failed after first connecting the new lead, something about failed to deliver so many packets?

Appreciate the reply and any help you can give

Karen