cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN and TG582n Router

Ragsy1

VPN and TG582n Router

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but just joined the community and cant see hoe to search.
Anyhow, just received a new router from plusnet TG582n, after my netgear went pop. Anyway, everything working fine except I cant access the VPN to my work. Plusnet keep telling about port forwarding but thats all greek to me, I spoek to the IT dept at work and they said something about IPsec? again foreign language, surely there is an easy way of adjusting the settings to get access???
Any help would be so much appreciated.
Regards
Ragsy
22 REPLIES 22
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: VPN and TG582n Router

Check that the PlusNet Broadband Firewall is either OFF or set to LOW as these are the only settings compatible with VPN: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Ragsy1

Its says its on low, and thats the only setting compatible with VPN?
w23
Pro

OK, that shouldn't be blocking it then.  Sorry I have no experience with that particular router (I've never had my work VPN blocked by any router I have used so can't offer any further suggestions).  I expect someone else will be along soon with further help.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Ragsy1

Thanks, Just turned it to off and reset my internet connection, hence only just back, still no joy, but thanks anyway
Ragsy
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

are your work guys saying the router needs to support ipsec?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

My guess is the router isn't doing VPN passthrough correctly. There are 2 common VPN protocols used, PPTP and IPSEC.
Looking at this link on the aaisp site http://wiki.aaisp.net.uk/index.php/IPv6_Routers#Problems_connection_to_PPTP_Servers seems to suggest it has problems with PPTP and that you should telnet into the router and unbind PPTP to allow it to work
connection applist
connection unbind application PPTP port 1723
saveall

If your VPN really is IPSEC then, looking at the TG582n CLI guide ( linked from the aaisp link ) then I would also suggest
connection unbind application IKE
saveall

Hope that helps, if you need more help ( like how to telnet into the router! ) then post back and we'll try and give some more details.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good answer MisterW Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ragsy1

where do i tell it to do that mr w
Ragsy1

Help, how do I get to the CLI? by the way my wifes VPN (no jokes) works fine with the Local Gvt, mine with the NHS wont feckin work.....aarrhhh, why should mine need all this intervention????
w23
Pro

This 'command line stuff' is usually done by 'telnet', first you need to make sure this command is enabled in your version of Windows, for Vista and Windows 7 you'll liely need to go into the control panel then into 'programs and features' then select 'turn windows features on or off' and look for and enable 'Telnet Client'.
Once you've done this you'll need a command prompt (search for 'cmd.exe' if you can't find it).
From there, type in 'Telnet 192.168.1.254' (at this point I'm assuming the router IP address is the same as other TG routers), you'll then need to enter the router's login name and password.  At his point you are talking directly to the router's 'command line interface' and the relevant commands from MisterW can be entered.
Again, if you get stuck I'm sure further help will be forthcoming.
Call me 'w23'
Ragsy1

If I do this, if it doesn't work how can I put it back to how it was? Would I reset to factory defaults and if so would I have to reset passwords and connect everything wireless to it back up?
Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Would I reset to factory defaults and if so would I have to reset passwords and connect everything wireless to it back up?

If you needed to do a factory reset then, yes, you would need to set everything back up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ragsy1

I've just tried the first one, before I did anything it said that PPTP tcp 1723 was disabled, I still couldn't get access to the VPN, I have just gone back in and its still disabled, should it have changed? I thought I'd ask before I do the second option re ike, that at the moment says IKE udp 500 disabled, mean anything?
Ragsy1

Cheers Mister W, I thought in for a penny so did the next one and voila, many thanks Smiley