cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Speed Issues - Lets call it the "Yo-Yo" effect !

kinginter
Grafter

VPN Speed Issues - Lets call it the "Yo-Yo" effect !

Heres my problem:
Say I connect to a torrent which has 25000 seeds and 30 leechers, I should get full line speed in theory.
With my vpn connected, it shoots up to peak line speed and then drops like a lead baloon, then same again up and down like a yo-yo.
Without vpn connected, it shoots up to peak line speed and stays there until its complete. Working perfectly basically.
So vpn and plusnet are not playing nicely together for some reason?
Can anybody shed some light on this? Its always been ok until about a week ago. I'm pretty sure its Plusnet side of things though as I have tried with same results on a laptop connected to my line. When I use my vpn on any of my 2 work computers in different buildings I have no issues at all.
PS: Same problem with using different torrent clients on my plusnet line.
Thanks !
10 REPLIES 10
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: VPN Speed Issues - Lets call it the "Yo-Yo" effect !

What are you doing over your VPN at the time?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
zubel
Community Veteran

Do you have "Use default gateway on remote network" set up for your VPN connection?
kinginter
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly

Nothing apart from maybe web browser open / email.
kinginter
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Do you have "Use default gateway on remote network" set up for your VPN connection?

I'm not sure what that means, but vpn has remote port forwarding and I get the green light on the port specified.
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: kinginter

Can you see if the spiking correlates with doing something over the VPN?  Our traffic management platform will always give priority to VPN traffic over P2P.  Lets see if it is related to that.
Kelly Dorset
kinginter
Grafter

Quote from: kinginter

Can you see if the spiking correlates with doing something over the VPN?   Our traffic management platform will always give priority to VPN traffic over P2P.   Lets see if it is related to that.

Well I'm not really doing anything. Apart from sitting looking at it thinking what on earth is happening lol. I'm going to disconnect everything from the router and just have the mac hard wired to it, with nothing running but vpn + torrent client. How can I log the graph?
Thanks for your help.
Kelly
Hero

uTorrent has a bandwidth tracker?  Get that running, watch it max, then start up the VPN.  Do nothing else.  See if that spikes up and down.  If it doesn't try browsing a webpage over the vpn and see what happens to the utorrent bandwidth tracker?
Kelly Dorset
kinginter
Grafter

uTorrent has a bandwidth tracker?  Get that running, watch it max, then start up the VPN.  Do nothing else.  See if that spikes up and down.  If it doesn't try browsing a webpage over the vpn and see what happens to the utorrent bandwidth tracker?

Will do, think it might be some settings on the mac. Brought the mac home from work and connected to vpn and a heavily seeded torrent and it shot straight up to line speed and stayed there throughout all but a little drop at one point but only by about 25%, not completely nothing.
Think I'll completely uninstall tunnelblick and vpn and try a fresh install.
kinginter
Grafter

Sorted it.. Completely uninstalled tunnelblick and deleted all references to it. Reinstalled latest beta to work with Mountain Lion and everything is ok now..
Think it might have been to do with upgrading from Lion OS to Mountain Lion and having to upgrade the tunnelblick (Installed beta over the top of what was already installed) Obviously didn't like it !
Sorry Plusnet  Wink
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions people...
Cheers
Kelly
Hero

No probs.  Thanks for letting is know Cheesy
Kelly Dorset