cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Slowdown

bendipa

VPN Slowdown

I recently downloaded some VPN software (AnchorFree) to disguise my IP address. Although it has done this, my broadband speed has dropped significantly by some 75%, and I cannot figure out why this has happened. I turned off firewalls both at the router and my own software firewall, but this had no effect. If I turn offf the VPN then my normal speed is resumed.
Can anyone suggest other reason s why my speed has dropped  so significantly, and how I can regain it using the VPN?
3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: VPN Slowdown

Hi bendipa,
VPN traffic is restricted whereas normal web traffic isn't, so while you are connecting through the VPN you will notice it being much slower. You are also dependent on the speed of the VPN you are connecting to.
Jojo Smiley
bendipa

Hi Jojo
I see somebody claims to havefound a solution to this on the web at ask.com as follows:
  1. Bring up the properties window for your VPN connection.
  2. Click the Network tab.
  3. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
  4. Click Properties.
  5. Click the Advanced button
  6. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network".

That should do it. If this box is checked, then all of your Internet activity passes through your VPN connection. Not what you'd normally want.

I don't understand what they mean in step 1 by properties on VPN connection. I can't  find what the properties they are referring to. Please could you explain that?
Regards
PB
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Well given how you seem to want to use your VPN, carrying out those instructions will negate the point of your VPN as *all* your traffic will flow as normal through your normal router with your normal IP address attached.
VPN's were originally created to allow you to access the resources of a distant network, not to allow you to hide your identity.