cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Not Working

hannahetc

VPN Not Working

I've recently moved house and joind Plusnet and am attempting to work from home on my work laptop for the first time today and VPN is not working. Well it is in that it says it is connected and i can get on to the web but when I try to open my Outlook it says the server is unavailable. I've looked at my firewall as i saw that on some other posts and have been in contact with both my IT service desk and plusnet customer services. Both of whom say - nothing to do with me!!!!! My router is the technicolour one if that helps as i've read it may be something to do with that.
Any help would be massively appreciated! I'm not overly tech savvy so please speak slowly!!
Hannah
5 REPLIES 5
zapto
Grafter

Re: VPN Not Working

I dont use the technicolour router myself. However when I first setup my router i to go into the router config and enable VPN Passthrough, there is usually 3 options PPTP, L2TP and IPSEC depending on the VPN technology your company use. Do you have the model number and ill see If I cant grab the menu options for you.
hannahetc

Hi, it's TG582n. Many thanks! i've already broken it once by messing aound but managed to fix it again now so i can get internet but still no VPN!
Hannah
hannahetc

Oh and the VPN is Citrix Access.
zapto
Grafter

I couldn't find any ALG (Application Layer Gateway Settings) for the Technicolour. It seems not to have them. However you should check that the PlusNet Broadband Firewall is either OFF or set to LOW to work with VPN: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Other than that you may need ot contact your IT helpdesk and get the ports that CAG uses and manually forward them.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It does have ALG helpers for PPTP and IPSEC. There's information here http://npr.me.uk/vpnissue.html#vpnpptp on disabling them to see if that fixes the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.