Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Issues

killban
Grafter

VPN Issues

Hi there,
I have 2 Plus.net accounts, and at one of them, I have a Draytek Vigor router with VPN enabled.
Last week, I could use VPN from my other Plus.net account and browse the network, ssh to my server and generally use my network from my other location.
This week however, it has stopped working.  Nothing has changed on either network.  I have checked and both firewalls are turned off in the connection settings on the Plus.net website.
Vista surprisingly is more helpful than XP, and tells me that the port is being blocked.  I know that it did work, so the only thing that could be blocking it is Plus.net on it's route.
My guess is that it is the newer line (which is the remote site), as I have tried and I can use VPN from work.
Is there anything I can do to confirm this is the case?
Thanks in advance,
Nicholas J Ball
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: VPN Issues

Have you checked the Plusnet firewall settings?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
killban
Grafter

Yes, I said that in my original post. Wink
jim:quote
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Did you just check the Plusnet firewall or did you actually change anything on it?  If you changed it, try rebooting the router.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Oops missed that - and Phil is right - it does need a disconnect/reconnect for changes to take effect.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Can you PM me the 2 usernames you are having the problems with? I'll have a look over from here and see if I can spot anything amiss.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
killban
Grafter

Chris,
PM sent with the names.
pjmarsh,
I did not change anything, they were both off.  Although I have rebooted both routers to try and resolve the issue.
Like I said, I have not changed anything with the internal networks.  The username / password is still the same etc.  Plus, I can connect from work.
I have upgraded the new account to Pro, but that was after VPN had stopped working, in an attempt to get it working again.  I had used enough bandwidth to justify the upgrade.  Smiley
Thanks for your responses,
Nicholas J Ball
killban
Grafter

After looking at all my settings I have concluded that I am a total noob.
I rebooted my access point at the weekend, and there are settings in that to allow VPN passthrough.  Of course they were off.  Why or when I changed them I do not know.
Thanks for all your comments, the problem in the end, was operator incompetance.
Cheers!
Nicholas J Ball