Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Issues on Static IP

FIXED
nashr
Hooked

Re: VPN Issues on Static IP

VPN admin has provided some logs - i've blanked IPs (Red - Office public IP, Green - My static IP, Yellow  - my laptoip's internal network IP)

ServerLog_home.png
Seems the connection gets to the VPN but then it can't fully establish the connection.

In comparison this is the log when my laptop is connected to my Phone Wifi rather than my plusnet Network

Jan  4 15:33:59 14[IKE] <867> {Tethered IP} is initiating a Main Mode IKE_SA
Jan  4 15:34:00 01[IKE] <remote-access|867> IKE_SA remote-access[867] established between {Office IP}[{Office IP}]...{Tethered IP}[{Device IP}]
Jan  4 15:34:01 02[IKE] <remote-access|867> CHILD_SA remote-access{154} established with SPIs c69755f0_i d2709b30_o and TS {Office IP}/32[udp/l2f] === {Tethered IP}/32[udp/l2f]

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Fix

Ah! you might want to point your VPN admin at these posts

https://community.ui.com/questions/L2TP-suddenly-not-working-anymore-under-Windows-10/69352fa8-f92b-...

https://mangolassi.it/topic/17747/help-troubleshooting-l2tp-over-ipsec-vpn-connections/17

Cant say I understand it fully but it seems as though the VPN server cant load the policy for your IP because it thinks one is already active.

From that 2nd link

New connection can't be made because a policy with the same details is already present. If we vpn from any place that has a different public ip than the one from her home, we can establish the vpn connection without a problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nashr
Hooked

Reboot of the VPN server has worked and killed my previous session!

Thanks all for your help!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is an interesting out-turn.  Contrary to the usual VPN issues where acquiring a static IP address fixes things ... it is somewhat likely that if @nashr had been on a dynamic IP address ... which happened to get changed due to establishing a new PPP session after a while disconnected ... their VPN server might not have knee-capped their VPN connection!

Somewhat ironic!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.