cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP on VBMU? Is this my son's XBOX 360?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

VOIP on VBMU? Is this my son's XBOX 360?

My son was given a headset for his XBOX 360 at Christmas, and I was concerned that this might eat up even more of our Peak bandwidth.  He is certainly doing a lot of Gaming, according to the VBMU.
However I've just noticed there's about 200Kb of "VOIP" on there for the past month.  We don't have the Broadband phone option, so we can't be using anything under the VOIP protocol.  
Will this be his headset?  I don't know a lot about his XBOX, but when he chats to his mates it seems to be independent of whatever game he's currently playing, so is his voice traffic being correctly separated out by PN as VOIP?
Does anyone know how much a month's worth of XBOX chat (approx 2-3 hours per night) will use in data?  Does 200Kb sound about right?  Or is this part of the VBMU a statistical anomally, and his voice-chat is actually adding Megabytes each night?
Last night the VBMU recorded about 250MB of Peak Traffic, and the only person online was my son on his XBOX.  Unfortunately I can;'t get a daily summary, so I can't see if there was any VOIP in there as well.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: VOIP on VBMU? Is this my son's XBOX 360?

Hi lorisarvendu,
If you click into usage breakdown on your VMBU you can see broadband calls which is VOIP. There's none there I can see at the moment.
Jojo Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine is showing VOIP at about 17% of my current usage (well over 0.5GB in about a week), we don't use VOIP.
Apart from Skype, Plusnet Broadband Phone and similar products, what else might be classified as VOIP?  Does MS Messenger (with video chat) or anything like that use this protocol?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: walker23
Does MS Messenger (with video chat) or anything like that use this protocol?

Yes we have a signature to detect it but doesn't always get caught.
Jojo Smiley
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi lorisarvendu,
If you click into usage breakdown on your VMBU you can see broadband calls which is VOIP. There's none there I can see at the moment.
Jojo Smiley

Yes there is.  99.53KB peak, 20.79KB off-peak. Don't look at the graph, look at the breakdown below it.
A tortoise? What's that?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lorisarvendu,
100k is a very small amount and can just be background traffic on your connection. However you don't have to have broadband phone calls to see VOIP, IM services, Skype etc. will all count as broadband calls.  But I wouldn't worry about such a small amount.
Jojo Smiley
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi lorisarvendu,
100k is a very small amount and can just be background traffic on your connection. However you don't have to have broadband phone calls to see VOIP, IM services, Skype etc. will all count as broadband calls.  But I wouldn't worry about such a small amount.
Jojo Smiley

So that must mean that although my son's XBox Chat is using VOIP protocol, PN picks it up as part of "Games" traffic.  That's a bummer.  I'm not going to be able to separate out his Chat from his Gaming.  If he does 500Mb worth of bandwidth under the "Games" category of traffic, I don't have any way of knowing how much of that is down to him talking on his headset.  It might be contributing 200Mb or only 10Mb.  Also I guess that it will depend entirely on how much he or the people he's listening to are talking.
A tortoise? What's that?