cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDSL2 Wireless FTTC on plusnet

blueclavius

VDSL2 Wireless FTTC on plusnet

Has anyone on the forum used the DrayTek Vigor 2750n Dual-Band VDSL2 Wireless FTTC Router.
I want to replace the BT fibre modem and netgear router as they are rubbish.
I have read bt infinity customers have used DrayTek Vigor 2750n. Just wanted to know if anyone with Plusnet has used one yet on there Fibre.
Would hopefully get rid of the overheating problems we seem to all be having.

8 REPLIES 8
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: VDSL2 Wireless FTTC on plusnet

Can't help you with the Draytek, I'm afraid. You might also want to look at similar devices from, e.g. ZyXEL, Billion and Cisco. It would indeed be nice to have an integrated modem/router so that we could look at the line stats.
Your post got me searching for info on the Openreach-supplied modem (searching on 'Huawei HG612').
It seems that recently Openreach have been installing a version 2 of this modem that doesn't have the overheating problems (or at least, not as often). These apparently have a big '2V' on the bottom. In my case - installed August 9th - I've got '2B', and I'm not sure what the difference is from the '2V' models, but I've also got a small 'v2' next to the serial number so I'm hoping I won't have the heating problems. Could be interesting when the central heating is turned on, as it's positioned just nine inches to the side of a radiator - fortunately, near the bottom.
Techies - especially Linux programmers - might be interested in this site: http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/
Graham
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

PlusNet FTTC is basically the same as BT Infinity, they both use the BTw FTTC product. Here's the VDSL setup guide for the 2750 http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2750_setup.html. Just replace the username/password in the example with your PlusNet username/password.
Edit: don't throw the BT modem away though. Its BT's property and technically you must use that with FTTC. If there is any fault you will need to put that back on the line or BT won't investigate it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TJN

I have just bought a Vigor 2750n  Smiley
However it can see the Plusnet servers but steadfastly remains "disconnected"
I followed the Drayek hint:"With BT Infinity the WAN VLAN ID should be set to 101" - but I suspect something at Plus net needs a tweak or indeed another VLAN ID?
- anybody succeeded?
mwerle
Grafter

Yep, connected now through my shiny new 2750Vn.
It got the VDSL sync straightaway, but wouldn't connect the PPPoE - kept complaining about no PADO packets being received.  Couldn't find anything on the internet, so just plugged it in again, double-checked password and then left it.  About 5 minutes later it was connected and has been stable since.
Running the latest firmware, 1.5.1, which isn't available yet on the draytek.co.uk site.  You can get it from the draytek.com site though.  Don't think it's necessary, but I needed it for my public IPv4 block.
Cheers,
- Micha.
EDIT: Oh, I forgot, I also turned off the "Automatic Hardware Set-Up" in my PlusNet Member Centre in-between my two attempts to connect.  Not sure if that changed anything..
itsme
Grafter

Is it PPPoA for the modem? It's PPPoE for the router or PC but the modem may be running PPPoA. So if you use a combined modem/router you may have to use PPPoA.
mwerle
Grafter

It's PPPoE for Fibre.  PPPoA for (most) ADSL ISPs. (http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-Infinity-PPPoE-or-PPPoA/td-p/80309)
In either case the current firmware for the 2750 doesn't support PPPoA.
TJN

Finally succeed this morning - must have been the sleep...
I started all over again.... I originally tried to tell the router to assign DHCP address from 192.168.1.1 whereas the Draytek factory deliver sets it at 192.168.1.10  - surfing great now Smiley
every blessing to you who try the same,
Tim
rudd42

Just been converted to Plusnet Fibre today and been trying to get the Draytek 2750n working, but not joy so far.
I've configured it using the setting provided in this thread by those who have it working, but it just refuses to connect.  All the log shows is "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" and then "Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery".  I tried flashing to the latest firmware (v1.5.1) just in case that made a difference.  I don't think it's even negotiating the VDSL profile though, because the VDSL status page just shows the link status as Negotiating -> Training -> Idle and I only ever see zeros in the columns.
I know the Fibre connection works as I'm using it with the BT supplied modem and Netgear router from Plusnet.  I was just hoping to be able to use the Draytek instead.