cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDSL2 Banded after major event

tbailey2

VDSL2 Banded after major event

Hi
Bit long winded this but I have no complaints with the plusnet service since installation back in February although I have lost some speed due crosstalk and local interference. Up until the 19th Jun, I had been running for 40+ days with no disconnects at an attainable of around 55Mbps and sync of 45 or so - actual was consistently 42/10. Errored Seconds counts were under 100/day with very low CRC errors due to interleaving on downstream.
On the 20th June, something happened in the afternoon at 15:49. There was a 10x increase in errored seconds for a short period, 10 LOS recorded and the d/l speed suddenly dropped to about 32Mbps. Looking at the BT speed checker a little later, it showed the profile as 45 or so and a nice red band with the d/l speed below acceptable range.
Of note, I also looked at my plusnet profile and at that time, it was out of sync with the BT one and 25% lower at 34 or so. presumably as a result of the 'event'. A bit later still after a modem power off/on and the BT one went down to that level. And that's where I have been ever since, capped at 32  Sad
Before the BT profile caught up with the plusnet one, I was getting brief jumps of SNR margin from 6 to 12 db and at the same time, the attainable was back up to 55 or so - attached DSLStats plots of the time it happened.
I also have a few crackles on the telephone itself - and, over the past few months, each time I have been aware of an install taking place in this area, my SNR margin jumps around suddenly - usually downwards but maybe next time recovers but more often stays there. A few engineers online have suggested this sounds suspiciously like a bad gel crimp in my cabinet being disturbed by careless engineers working on the new install?
So can you help - I don't think the DLM is going to do anything off its own back anytime soon, and I'm told it really needs to be reset after checking the possibly faulty cab connections. I also have some gel crimps in a BT cabinet in a wall on the property that was installed back in the 90s with a new armoured cable to service multiple lines at that time.
I'm a bit wary of reporting a line fault in case, as has happened to others, I end up with no connection at all for a long period!
Ideas please?
My BT estimate is currently 44/9 on a clean line. There are no extensions on the line and it comes straight in with modem next to it. I've changed the modem, lead, and faceplate and waggled everything around with no effects so I don't believe the problem is at this end. 
You'll see a few resyncs over the past few days due to moving the modem and 5 min power offs (and with little effect on speeds) but generally the line has always been stable once the standing interference was tamed by interleaving.
3 REPLIES 3
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: VDSL2 Banded after major event

Hi tbailey2,
Thanks for raising this to our attention.
I've just run through a full set of intrusive faults testing on your broadband service and found that everything appears to be fine and within limits. You're not affected by the banding of the line and all tests completed with a pass result as shown below.
If you would like to progress this then you can raise a fault and we'll take a look into this for you however the likelihood of this being returned as no fault found by BTW would be very high.
tbailey2

Quote from: Adam
Hi tbailey2,
I've just run through a full set of intrusive faults testing on your broadband service and found that everything appears to be fine and within limits. You're not affected by the banding of the line and all tests completed with a pass result as shown below.

Ok thanks, looks good unfortunately. Only two questions:
1) Why the sudden fall off a cliff after 40 days+ at ~10Mbps higher?
2) Why did plusnet drop the profile some time before BT did?
Thanks.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us tbailey2,
To address your questions in order -
1) The sudden drop in speed could have been caused by many different factors. It would be hard to pin this down to any one thing however it may be worth thinking about any additional equipment you may have introduced around the property or anything you may have changed the configuration of, this could include any disconnections of the router/modem which could have been construed as a dropping connection.
2) With regards to the drop in profile speed on our side, I've attached a screen grab below to show when changes were made to your profile. As you can see on the far right; all of these changes were subject to receiving a Delta Report from the exchange equipment meaning that the change is made on advice of your current speeds set at the exchange level. If we ever make a manual change on our side, the system would flag this as a manual change which hasn't been the case on your account.
Just as a follow on from question 1, there is also the factor that something external to your address may have changed and resulted in the drops. This could be additional customers being connected to a fibre service at your cabinet or a possible fault (of which there has been no identification). There are many possibilities that could have caused this and the ones provided are less than a handful of what could be deemed a culprit for such a change.
Hopefully we should see some change as we move forward.
EDIT
Apologies, I forgot to add the screengrab  Roll_eyes