w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: VDSL routers for FTTC?

Identical to mine:
Broadcom
B5004244434D
7631302E
(I asked because I don't know how the Fritz!Box performs on ECI cabinets but I'm happy with mine on Huawei cab (Broadcom))
Best to keep your connection speed discussion on the other thread I think.: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127136.0.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rwaller
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Identical to mine:
Broadcom
B5004244434D
7631302E
(I asked because I don't know how the Fritz!Box performs on ECI cabinets but I'm happy with mine on Huawei cab (Broadcom))
Best to keep your connection speed discussion on the other thread I think.: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127136.0.html

On the TB Forum some users have had problems with the Fritz! 7390 on ECI cabinets, BUT I have not had any at all, and I was also given the Huawei Modem not the ECI one when I had Fibre installed
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I notice someone has already mentioned the ZyXEL VMG8324-10A,  but another vote from me.  Ive been running it for just over 6 wks now and am very pleased with it.
I did a quick review a couple of weeks ago on it.  ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A - Review
A few more regs have also since bought one, all have seen increased sync speeds above the Hg612 - not that it means everyone will do.  As we all know some routers work better on some lines and carp on others. 
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Hi Kitz,

What sort of money do these go for?
I wouldn't mind giving one a try on my longish, crosstalk affected connection, now that my VDSL2 stats logging/graphing programs work with them.

chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
I notice someone has already mentioned the ZyXEL VMG8324-10A,  but another vote from me.  Ive been running it for just over 6 wks now and am very pleased with it.
A few more regs have also since bought one, all have seen increased sync speeds above the Hg612 - not that it means everyone will do.  As we all know some routers work better on some lines and carp on others. 

kitz can it be used as a modem only?
MrTAToad
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
I notice someone has already mentioned the ZyXEL VMG8324-10A,  but another vote from me.   Ive been running it for just over 6 wks now and am very pleased with it.

How do you setup the Zxyel ? I just get an orange DSL line light and "can't connect to the internet" message.  Put in my username and password, set the ADSL/VDSL over PTM and encapsulation is PPPoE
kevinduke
Grafter

Did you set the VLAN to 101
MrTAToad
Grafter

Oh yes - correct username & password too...
Its just too much trouble, so it's going to be sent back.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
What sort of money do these go for?
I wouldn't mind giving one a try on my longish, crosstalk affected connection,

circa £100.  
I got mine from broadband buyer, but I believe there's somewhere else that sells it slightly cheaper - cant recall now as Id never heard of them before.
now that my VDSL2 stats logging/graphing programs work with them.

...  and a very good job you did.  Thank you so much Smiley
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I just get an orange DSL line light

Orange indicates a VDSL sync.  Its only green for ADSL1/2/2+
Some units in the UK are being shipped  with firmware that needs updating to be able to connect to VDSL.  Although Zyxel support were good with me and immediately issued new firmware which resolved by problem, some users are being told there isnt an update.  Ive therefore made a list of the available firmwares  http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0 ;
Step by step details: How to set up the VMG8324-B10A for VDSL
Also if your running windows and previously used a separate modem and router, Windows 7.1 seems to get confused and reports 'no network' when in fact there is.
I got around it by making another network connection - 'Network1' is for using a separate router and modem.  'Network 2' is for combined router/modem unit.
Running the network troubleshooting should also fix it.    I believe you are connected though now Wink
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: chrcoluk
kitz can it be used as a modem only?

TBH Im not sure, its not something Ive tried, but since it has bridge mode then I dont see why not.

The full (and rather long) user manual is here
coldfox
Dabbler

The asus dsl ac66u doesn't actually have the built in vdsl modem like the asus dsl n66u.
I have the asus dsl n66u and can confirm it has the vdsl modem.
Bt HomeHub 5 may be worth a look , but i sometimes hear some negative things about wifi i think
Billion 8200n is another one worth looking but does not have ipv6 support. Maybe in the future?
chrcoluk
Grafter

<mods plase delete this, I repeat asked question got answer to sorry>
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: coldfox
The asus dsl ac66u doesn't actually have the built in vdsl modem like the asus dsl n66u.

The DSL-AC66U has the same modem chipset as the DSL-N66U.