Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usual download speed query!!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Usual download speed query!!

If you haven't already, I'd add to your ticket that the ticket wasn't updated as promised, and in any event the Engineer was a "no show".
Cholek3
Grafter

I have updated the ticket with all informations. I also gave 2 dates, when I am available. That is next Monday or Tuesday, a week from now.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm really sorry that the engineer didn't turn up Sad
I've updated your fault ticket.
Cholek3
Grafter

Much appreciated, I will be awaiting engineer on Monday. Do you know if anything been mentioned about replacing wiring?
Thanks.
Anotherone
Champion

The "Drop-wire" is the term you are looking for  Wink
Cholek3
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
If that old cable goes to the pole it must be replaced....
PS.It won't go to the Cab!

Out of couriosity, what sort of cable is between wooden pole and cabinet? Same twisted pair? How can you be sure that does not need replacing as well. Sorry to be a pest, I just like to know stuff like that. Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

That depends on where the Cab is in relation to the pole, how many subscribers on your particular pole, how many other poles nearby, whether it goes overground or underground. Several cables from individual DPs (Distribution Points) may be joined at poles or underground chambers on route to the Cab.
Yes, it's all twisted pair, but not individual cables, it's multiple pairs. Depending on the above it could be eg. 10/20/25/30/50/100/200 etc pair cable.
HTH.
Cholek3
Grafter

Pole is about 50yards away from the cabinet, there is 3-4 more poles on the street (10-15 cables each). My pole got 10 cables going into it (my cable got approx 60yards long altogether). And pole is connected to cabinet with underground cable. Just noticed my cabinet got finally "Fibre optic is here" sticker put on.
Cholek3
Grafter

Master socket has been moved to desired location and wiring replaced between master socket and top of the house, where cable from wooden pole is attached to. Engineer said there is no need to replace cable to wooden pole as it is not same old cable, that was going inside the house.
I will do some more speed tests in next few days.
Below I attached BTW test, which shows strange download speed, although speedtest.net shows very good speed.

Thank you very much for your help.
Anotherone
Champion

BT speedtester borked again  Roll_eyes
Ah ha, you obviously didn't spot the Connection box at the top of the house then  Wink Let's hope you have a nice stable trouble free connection now.
Did the engineer run a complete set of tests before he left and give it all a clean bill of health?
Cholek3
Grafter

He said there was 3 connections boxes. 1 inside house, 1 next to door (black cylinder) and 1 on top of the house. Honestly to God, I haven't seen it, although I see the new one he installed today.
Yes, he run few of them, one of them was speed test and he said it was perfect, 78Mbps down, 20Mbps up. All tests came up nearly perfect.
Anotherone
Champion

Well, that's sounds great, let's hope you can now enjoy your Fibre connection with no worries  Smiley
Cholek3
Grafter

Hopefully everything will be ok. Yet again, thanks for your priceless help. If anything, I know where to go.  Cheesy
Jimsky
Grafter

@ Chris, if you still work at plusnet Roll_eyes
I have restarted this post as I have previous readings on here, but I had a complete broadband outage Friday 12:30am ( I know it's late but was watching film online)  Tongue
Since then I have done a BT speedtest and found my max achievable has fallen from 48mbs right down to 38!!! Also my upload has fallen quite a lot from 9mbs to 6!!

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I can see the drop on the Friday at 12.30pm although it doesn't look anything to be concerned about.
Your speeds are currently above your estimate, if you run through our faults wizard we can check over your connection.