Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usual download speed query!!

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Usual download speed query!!

We're currently looking at your fault and attempting to arrange your master socket being moved. We'll update your ticket today.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The engineer appointment is going ahead tomorrow(15th 1pm-6pm) as planned and we've asked for the master socket to be moved.
Let me know how it goes.
Cholek3
Grafter

Many thanks, gents. I will give update tomorrow.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Make sure they replace that extremely old standard cable and joint box and drill the hole in the right place Wink
Cholek3
Grafter

Now I am certain that one of the cables coming out of master socket is a source. I found that behind wooden panels. That means there is no 3rd cable running inside the wall, as engineer who installed fibre said.
I will make sure. Smiley
Cholek3
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Make sure they replace that extremely old standard cable and joint box and drill the hole in the right place Wink

What if that cable goes to the very wooden post on the street, or even worse to cabinet. Do you think they gonna have enought time to do that?
Anotherone
Champion

If that old cable goes to the pole it must be replaced, what can you see on the RHS of the joint box, does it look the same flat cable where the two wires are side by side? If you've got flash, take a photo.
Is it possible to drill through the wall from outside to exactly where you want the master socket?
PS.It won't go to the Cab!
Cholek3
Grafter

I cannot take a photo now, I am at work, but it is the same cable. Both are very stiff (You could probably run 13A current through it Wink ). It is very hard to bend it, if you know what I mean. Wink
And yes, there shouldn't be a problem drilling a hole. I am 95% sure there is no piping or cabling going in that wall. The only thing is, cable goes up my wall, then across over access footpath for me and my neighbours and is attached to hook of my neighbours wall then goes to the pole.
Anotherone
Champion

Take a picture when you get home and post it. Make sure they replace that as well then, so you'll then have one continuous cable from the pole to your Master socket (no need for a joint) which is what you should have had in the first place!
Here's a picture http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R0411813-01.jpg the White & Orange are the first pair, Black and Green are the 2nd pair, not usually used, the 3 (pale) yellow wires are steel strain wires. The 2 pair drop-wire CW1411 is 5.3mm in diameter (round x-section) and Black sheathed..
Cholek3
Grafter

Is that what you wanted? Cable on the left enters house, on the right goes up the wall. Horizontal picture is further up. That all I can do at night time.
Anotherone
Champion

That's brilliant. I really can't believe that Fibre installs are being done with such old cable in place - well I shouldn't be surprised. That must all be replaced. You will never have a decent stable Fibre installation with cable like that. If the engineer that turns up doesn't seem too co-operative and is talking about not replacing the cable, moan like hell.
Plusnet needs to make a formal complaint about the original install as well.
Edit: see http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/equivalence/downloads/Key_messages_for_GEA_FTTC_enginee...
and http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/equivalence/whatwetellourengineers/whatwetellourenginee...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lucas,
Then engineer is all booked in for you today, it'll be worth mentioning to the engineer to replace the cable to the pole and if needed you can ask him to give us a call.
Cholek3
Grafter

I am not holding my breath, but I don't think he is going to come today. Sad
Anotherone
Champion

Oh isn't that just typical Openretch   Angry
Cholek3
Grafter

Oh well...
Quote from: chrispurvey
We're currently looking at your fault and attempting to arrange your master socket being moved. We'll update your ticket today.

Quote from: chrispurvey
The engineer appointment is going ahead tomorrow(15th 1pm-6pm) as planned and we've asked for the master socket to be moved.
Let me know how it goes.

Hi Chris, My ticket actually was not updated and as you aware, engineer did not turn up. Maybe there was some lack of communication?